Search

Traveling Cross Country With A CPAP Machine

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling Cross Country With A CPAP Machine

Hello!

My wife and I are going to be traveling from PA to CA the 3rd week of July for a wedding in NAPA valley.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on traveling with a CPAP machine - mostly I'm worried about the TSA and my machine making it to my destination. My wife suggested shipping it ahead but that would leave me several nights with out it.

Any ideas would be helpful!

Thanks,
Bruce
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Why wouldn't you carry it on?

I've traveled in the U.S. and internationally with mine with no issues. TSA sees many of them, and you don't have to count it as your carry-on allowance if you want to bring it's case. If traveling light I sometimes just put it in my carry-on luggage.

~Liz
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Easy to carry on, TSA agents where I have flown have known what it is and I haven't had any problem.

You have to take it out of the carrying bag for screening (like taking out your laptop) but that's it.

I have a case for mine that came with it and I can fit the maching, tubing, mask, power supply and extension cord inside.

Remember to take an extension cord - most likely the outlet in the hotel will not be where you need it.

While I use distilled water in the humidifier at home, I am fine using bottled water in it while traveling, saves having to find a grocery or drug store. Just be sure to empty the humidifier before traveling.

As Liz mentioned above, it does not count as a carry on if that is a concern. Just be sure you can manage all your carry ons if the cpap is an extra bag.

There are cpap suppliers that carry tags for cpaps that say "medical equipment." I found a free tag for printing online and had it laminated, but the TSA people seem to know them by sight/shape regardless.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Taking an extension cord is great advice. You would not believe what you find behind the headboards,even in expensive places, when you are looking for an outlet.

Everyone at TSA has seen them. Some places with lower quality/older security systems may want to "sniff it" for explosives in a machine. It will be done by the time you get your shoes back on.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why did you tag this for the "A" states?

Has nothing to do w/ any of them . . .

But never mind, there is no reason to ship the CPAP. You can carry it on w/o any issues at all.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM

DH has been traveling with one for years. Definitely just take it as carry on. You will have no issue with Tsa, these things are incredibly common. I htink maybe 5 years ago was the last time a TSA agent didn't know what it was.

It is not supposed to count as a carry on, but we've never pushed that too hard. DH counts it as his "personal item" as well as taking another carryon and that has been fine.

Don't ship it and be without it....you don't need that kind of exhaustion when you are on vacation and jet lagged.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank You all for the info. I found this travel unit... It should be here in a few days. I can pack it in my carry on and be done with it. Sorry for just tagging the "A" states, I tried to tag them all.

http://www.gocpap.com/somnetics-tran...-cpap-machine/