Travel with 2 month old baby

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel with 2 month old baby

Hi. We have never been in Hawaii and are looking to travel in November. We are thinking of visiting either Maui or Kauai. Which would be better for us travelling with a newborn?

Also, how do we get to these Islands - ie. are there only small planes that get there?

Does anyone know of any budget accomodations that would be good for us?

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM

If you just want to sit by the pool and relax - go to Kauai. There isn't much to do there. Maui has more sights and activities.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:48 AM

From where are you travelling Shelley? That would be a very long flight, even from the west coast for a 2 month old. Is the baby just born??

I can't imagine any small planes to Hawaii unless you're talking about inter island flight and even those aren't so small. The best sort of accomodations for you would be a condo I would guess. If you're serious about Hawaii and want recos on where to go/stay, repost with Hawaii in your title. If you're genuinely looking for suggestions on where to go with a 2 month old, tell us where you live and what your budget is. If you're on the west coast, southern Cal might be better.

I've not been to Maui, only Kauai.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM

You're booking for travel in November, with a 2-month-old. Is this baby even born yet? Are you sure this is something you want to do? Many babies of that age don't sleep much and can be very difficult. Will you enjoy this trip with no sleep? Also, you're planning to go to the beach with a 2 month old? At that age, some baby's skin is so sensitive, that even in the shade they can get a wicked sunburn from reflection. I would NEVER have tried this with my children at 2 months old, but if you want to give it a go, good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

We have a 12-month old (our first and so far only child). We have traveled extensively with him starting when he was 3 months old. We have flown on many flights with him, driven thousands of miles, and visited numerous states on numerous trips.

We lucked out, because our son is a very easy baby and a real joy. I put him on a flexible schedule (EASY street according to the baby whisperer - Eat, Activity, Sleep, time for You - I highly recommend the Baby Whisperer book) when he was a couple weeks old and that has allowed us to schedule flights, plan on when we need to nurse, nap, etc... I say go for it. I also recommend The Happiest Baby on the Block book - the techniques (e.g. swaddling) REALLY work. Traveling with a baby can be very enjoyable (even a very long flight) if you're prepared, organized, know your baby, have a helpful spouse, and have an easy-going baby. An easy-going baby is the most important.

I was extremely hesitant before our son was born about traveling with a baby, but traveling with him has been wonderful. We did however wait until he was born before we planned our first trip with him, limited the first trip to a week-long trip with a 4-hour flight each way, and we haven't taken him yet to a beach (I'm Irish, my husband is Swedish, and we use a lot of sun block just to walk out to the mail box).

Good luck, be smart in planning, and go for it! Congratulations on becoming a parent!

-Mom of a 1-year-old
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM

You can fly nonstop from the mainland to Maui. That alone is a tie-breaker for me if I'm traveling with a child of any age.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:41 PM

When my son was six months old we flew to Oahu to visit family. It was wonderful. Pediatrician just advised nursing him at take off and landing. It worked like a charm! Good luck. ***kim***
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I think it would be wonderful to travel to Maui or Kauai with your infant. Just make sure to get his/her immun shots at 2 month check-up before going...not necessarily a big worry but better to get the hassle out of the way first.

I would agree with other posters to book a condo since it would be much more convenient (like having a kitchen). Check out www.vrbo.com for a good-sized listing of condos direct from owners; which is generally less than going through a rental agency.

To help screen your infant from the strong sunlight at the beach, I would recommend the purchase of the Graco Pack 'n Play Sport, which can also be used in lieu of a crib at night.

For traveling tips with babies, check out the website www.babycenter.com; there's some excellent tips, pros/cons there.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM

You can travel with a 2 month old. The problem I forsee is that they pee & poop A LOT at 2 months old, and they don't like to sit in it. For a LONG flight... It might be hard to change them on the plane continously & forget the bathroom.

Not too sure about going to Hawaii just because you CAN NOT take a baby that young in the sun. And they aren't allowed to have any sunblock until they are 6 months old. I highly recommend you talk to your pediatrician before making these plans. Hawaii's sun is very strong, trust me we have been twice.

What we did when my daughter was 6 weeks old, we rented a house on the beach near us. My family came over and watched the baby while the hubby and I played in the sun for a few hours each day. Then at sunset we took her out to get some fresh air. You may want to modify your travel plans...IMO.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM

I have not been to Hawaii. What a great trip you will have. When my son was 6 wks. we went (just he and I) to New Mexico for my grandfathers 90th birthday party. He was the hit of the reunion. Then 2 wks. later my husband, son and I went to St. Kitts where I had a job to do. My son was so good on the planes (I think the noise kept him captivated) but it wasn't easy to change his diaper, no, not easy at all. As for the sun, we've always taken him to the beach, we live in Florida. Get a light-weight beach umbrella, blanket, chairs, collapsible travel cooler. Just keep him/her out of the sun -- and keep yourself out of the sun too, it's not worth the skin melanomas.
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 07:56 PM

You might want to check with your pediatrician regarding the sunscreen. Mine told me recently that the 6 month old rule is an old one which was due to PABA which can irritate skin. He said to use the sunscreen on my 4 month old. I used a grocery store's baby brand & she was fine. We also took a towel from the hotel when we went sightseeing & covered her stroller most of the time. It served double duty - it protected her from the sun & blocked out noise so she slept the whole time. Go now because it gets harder as they get older.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 12:53 AM

From one new mom to another...most of us are just doing good to get dressed, bathed and fed at 2 months. Not to mention get out the door and go somewhere. There is no tired like the tired of having a new baby.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 01:02 AM

P.S- you better see how the birth goes. With my first child I couldn't sit for long without it being torture. That flight may be too hard on you.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 03:54 AM

As you can see from above posts, mixed opinions on traveling that far with a baby that young - and that is because all babies and all mothers are different. As a parent of 2 teenagers, both of whom have been traveling with us since infancy, I can tell you that traveling with one of them at that age would have been a nightmare, and with the other possible. You have no way of knowing at this point. Also, if you have a difficult enf of pregnancy, delivery or c-section, you will only be starting to feel human again at the 2-month stage.

Before I had my first kid, I thought I would be leading an easy life at home with kid - after being used to demanding job - how tough could one little baby be. I was so wrong, I laugh about it now. But I was not laughing then!

Hawaii is so expensive and fascinating that it would be a shame to waste it if you have to spend a lot of time in hotel. I would reconsider destination for now or wait until very close to travel date to make reservations and reassess how well you and this particular baby would do with the trip.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM

if you can get ahold of the music
of Keali'i Reichel music he as many
hawaiian style lullabies. to soothe
a young keikis soul
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Stay home until the child is at LEAST 6 MONTHS old. In case of an emergency, and for the sake of everyones' sanity, travel is not wise before then. Talk to your doctor. Even YOU will not be up to par until then!!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM

While I agree that it's not wise to plan a vacation for just a few weeks after a child is born, every situation is different. Certainly, complications can arise, from medical disablities to a baby who arrives a couple of weeks late. Some babies are placid and sleep most of te time, others scream more than they sleep.

Nevertheless, travel with tiny babies is possible. As long as mom is up to it, why not? At that age, most babies sleep a LOT and their needs are simple. I took my older daughter camping when she was 6 weeks old, and 17 years later when we went looking at colleges, her 2-month-old brother came along with us.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:20 PM

A fun age is when the child starts noticing colors and objects. That's when to go to the aquariums etc.