Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Travel with 18 month infants from U.S.A to Europe

May 11th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

We're going to travel to Germany, Italy and France in Mid Jun 07. I'm rather nervous, than exited because I'm worried about a lot of things such as: travel document required for my son, is it easy to buy size 4 diapers everywhere, how many should I pack in advance? How will I go from place to place in Italy w/o carseat. Does anybody experience in this, can you share yours with me? Thank you very much
May 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Mamasita, I saw your posting and hoped that I could enlightened you. I live in Germany, so I figured I could help. Traveling here with your infant isn't so bad. My suggestion would be to pack small pack of diapers in luggage, and then you can buy them as you need them. European diaper are the same as in the states. A passport is all I use to travel my children. When my family and I went to Italy we used the trains and buses. I hope this helps.
May 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Your first concern is a passport. Assuming you are US citizen, you are cutting it really close if he does not have one. You will have to get expedited service - and even then, it could be difficult. Check info on Dept of State website.

After that, worry about carseats and diapers - others here will give you info on these.
May 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM

mamasita, As above, does your son have a passport already? That's your only must-do for the trip imo.
May 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM

I agree with everyone else. Make sure your passport issues are resolved. Your son MUST have a passport. Also, if you are going to be traveling alone with him, you will need a notarized letter from the other parent stating their permission to allow your son to leave the country.

Once you have all those things resolved search both the US and Europe boards for helpful hints on flying with toddlers (what toys work well on planes, how much of what stuff to pack, etc.). Also, people on the Europe board will help you with what to bring...for instance if your stroller doesn't have thick air tires, might be hard on everyone to push over all the cobblestone streets in Europe. Better bet is a backpack. Stuff like that, the folks on the Europe board can help you with.

Good luck.

taitai
May 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM

It's also a good idea if your son has any sort of health problem, to take along a note from his doctor as to what medications he is used to, dosage, etc.

I sure wouldn't worry about things like diapers and carseats....they have babies in Europe too. Somehow, they manage. Take along enough diapers to last on the plane plus about two or three hours longer. Then about one days supply in your luggage. If you don't need to use them, you'll have them for the trip home.
May 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM

The trip to Europe should be fairly easy. It is a night flight and the kids sleep. Coming back to the States is a much more difficult (and longer) flight. You'll find everything you need in Europe... maybe even a light weight stroller... take yours along and if it doesn't work on the streets and side walks, leave it and buy another one there. It depends where you are. In cities, there are side walks and our strollers should be fine. Esp. the fold up light weight ones..Its good for kids to travel young and get used to new ways of doing things. Having children along is a great way to meet people too.
May 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM

If your baby doesn;t have a passport yet you really need to get started on this, expedited service - immediately - since they want all the documents and both parents to appear for a child passposrt (to avoid any custody dispute issues).

Also - please DO buy your baby a seat on the plane - lap babies are just in way too much danger if any problem occurs.

Any other issues can be solveed once you get those organized.
May 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, thank you for all your wonderful tips. Yes, I agreed w/ all of you that my husband & I overlooked the passport for my son. So we'll do it Monday. BTW, sorry for my grammatical errors, and unclear questions; it was late at night & I was stressed but now everything gets so clear. Thanks all, thanks Fodor's

Mamasita

May 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Hi mamasita. You might check out my blog pages on travelling with infants and toddlers: http://happyjetbaby.blogspot.com/sea...s%20-%20Travel

I wouldn't worry too much. I would pack about 8-10 diapers for the plane and enroute to your hotel. Buy more when you get there. I would bring my carseat (buy him a ticket) for the plane, but that's an individual decision.

The air carrier should've reminded you about the passport.

You will have so much fun. I don't know about Germany, but Italy and France are both wondrfully child-friendly locales. Great food in both countries (particularly Italy - all that gelato and pizza), and a wonderfully welcoming atmosphere.
May 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I would pack enough diapers so you didn't have to shop immediately but could get through the next jet-lagged day without having to worry. The extra space you will then create in your luggage will easily fill up.

Have a great trip.