Travel to San Francisco with toddler

Apr 6th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Travel to San Francisco with toddler

In June we will be travelling from Indianapolis to San Francisco for a week with my (then) 11 month old son. I'm not planning on buying him a seat on the plane, but should I consider bringing his carseat anyway? The seat is a large convertible seat and in SFO we plan on using the BART and Muni mostly, and buses and cable cars as needed as well as just walking. I feel kind of unprepared not having it, but it seems silly to drag it across the country if we won't use it. Thoughts?

Any other tips for travel with baby/toddler would be appreciated!!
Apr 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Since you aren't planning to rent a car, your carseat shouldn't be necessary. It would be useless on public transportation for an 11-month-old. Do bring a collapsible stroller, though--it will be very helpful, and your toddler can nap in it while you explore.

San Francisco is kid-friendly. Check out the fantastic playground at Dolores Park (Dolores & 18th Street) for great views and a ton of fun for kids at a whole range of ages. It can get very crowded on beautiful weekends, particularly in the afternoon, so its at its best in the morning and on weekdays. Views of downtown SF for the parents are awesome from the top of the hill!

Check out Red Tricycle for tips on things to do in San Francisco with a child--it's a great site with tons of fun ideas. http://redtri.com/san-francisco-kids/

Search this Thread