Travel to Hudson River Valley from Maine

Apr 3rd, 2018, 07:13 AM
ymb
Original Poster

Travel to Hudson River Valley from Maine

My husband and I will be traveling from Maine and want to spend two days in Hudson River Valley on our way home to Kentucky. It will be the same amount of travel time for us if we come into valley from north or south. I am looking for suggestions of towns where we could find nice restaurants, art museum, historic homes. We want charm, relaxation, no hustle bustle. I know it's a short time to stay but if there's a town that would give us a nice flavor of the valley, that's what we're looking for.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 08:11 AM

There are several depending on where you want to be north-to-south and east-to-west, but given your "requirements", I would choose Rhinebeck or Cold Spring (the former is about 40 miles north of the latter, both are lovely).
Apr 3rd, 2018, 08:30 AM

As for what to see, I'd put these three sites at the top of the list (in no particular order:

1. Storm King Art Center

2. The FDR mansion and museum

3.Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate

Do a google reseach on all three details.

Apr 7th, 2018, 08:10 PM

If you want someplace relatively quiet but still really interesting, spend some time in Hudson (on the east side) and Catskill and Athens on the west side, just across from Hudson. This area is the heart of the Hudson River School of painting. Frederick Church's home, Olana is there as is Thomas Cole's home. There are lots of restaurants and shops. Gorgeous views. On your way to Hudson from Maine you could check out three Shaker sites (Hancock, New Lebanon and the Shaker Museum in Old Chatham).
Apr 7th, 2018, 08:37 PM

This travel report covers quite a few sites in the Hudson Valley once you get past the NYC section: Trip Report: Ten days on the East Coast
Apr 8th, 2018, 09:13 AM

We didn’t make it to Kukuit, but we loved Storm King and the FDR house (mostly loved the library, but enjoyed the whole thing), West Point, Olana, and lunch at the CIA (we ate in the casual cafe and the food was fabulous).
Apr 8th, 2018, 10:25 AM

If you stay in Rhinebeck, and visit FDR's house and library in nearby Hyde Park, don't miss Eleanor Roosevelt's home, Valkill, which is just across the road. The Vanderbilt Mansion is also up the road from FDR"s house.
Apr 9th, 2018, 04:43 AM
ymb
Original Poster

I appreciate all responses. I'm taking notes and it's certainly helping me to make decisions. I have not made a final decision on where to stay but am mapping all suggested stops and will choose based on that.

Search this Thread