JFK to Manhattan - visitor seeking advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, looking for advice on the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan. We arrive on a Tuesday in May at 3:45 p.m. Staying at the Courtyard / Marriott Times Square West at 307 West 37th Street, Hell's Kitchen. After reading previous posts, I was leaning toward taking the Airtrain to Jamaica Station and the LIRR to Penn Station. However I just read about Amtrak repairs at Penn Station that may cause LIRR trains to be diverted. I’ve read the schedule changes but it’s difficult for this outsider to figure out. I guess the bottom line is - should we take the A train or the E train instead? Or just bite the bullet (wallet) and take a cab instead?

Thanks!
Leslie
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There was a recent thread answering this question. Use “search” right above your post to find it.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Its actually easier to find clicking on New York tags . . .

Best Way from JFK to hotel in Manhattan
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

I have read previous posts but did not get my answer. I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to offer some helpful suggestions to my particular situation.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I have read previous posts but did not get my answer. I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to offer some helpful suggestions to my particular situation.

Last edited by janisj; Apr 7th, 2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Fodors Moderator

I feel your pain

I tried to look up some answers for you and became thoroughly confused. It looks like the track works will end by May 28 so if you’re coming in after that it may not be an issue, but if it’s before that I certainly couldn’t figure out from the MTA site or Long Island Railroad site if you’d be impacted at Penn station. If you don’t want to pay for a cab, there is a bus service that runs from JFK to most New York hotels – I think it’s $18 a person, so if there’s just two of you would be a bit cheaper than a cab.
https://www.nycairporter.com/ourserv...elconnections/

You will be coming in around rush-hour so it may take a while, but in that case the trains would be crowded as well.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 04:19 AM

If you are ok with the price, you can try to find someone to share the taxi with you. Go to the official taxi line and ask people if they are headed to Manhattan and where. It is often pretty easy to find someone to share the cab. You have to be a bit bold to do this but it might be worth a shot. I've done it in the past, when I am traveling alone. The cab may have to make two stops so the price will be a bit higher but it will still work out better than paying the fare on your own.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 08:05 AM

How much luggage will you have? If just a carryon, and if cost is an issue, I’d just do the airtrain to Jamaica and the E to Manhattan. I’ve done that many times myself (have also done the LIRR, which is great, but I have no idea whether track issues will impact you), cabs (fine but $$) and car service. I would NOT do the subway with heavy carryons or large luggage - too much shlepping.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 09:37 AM

There is airport bus service from JFK to Manhattan - the NYC Airporter. You can buy a RT ticket and save a few $$ if you're going back to JFK at the end of your visit.
They stop at Penn Station and Port Authority Bus Terminal, which are equidistant from your hotel - Penn, a few blocks south on 32nd St, and PABT a few blocks north on 42nd St. You can walk from either one to your hotel, assuming you are not laden with too much luggage. (if you are, then take a cab. If not, take the bus)

I usually take the bus and find it the easiest and most convenient way to get to the airport, even tho' I can't walk to it from my apt. I usually take a taxi to the bus.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. We will only have 2 carry on bags but I'm guessing even that can be a bummer on a rush hour train. All things considered, we will probably take a cab (or share one!).

Thanks, again!
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadbanana
Thank you for the thoughtful replies. We will only have 2 carry on bags but I'm guessing even that can be a bummer on a rush hour train. All things considered, we will probably take a cab (or share one!).

Thanks, again!
Your best bet at that time of day is the E train to Penn Station. It will likely be faster than a taxi. Then walk to your hotel. It’s an easy choice during rush hour.