Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Travel tips for NYC realistic in hot/humid temps?

Travel tips for NYC realistic in hot/humid temps?

Jun 15th, 2001, 12:44 AM
jenny

Travel tips for NYC realistic in hot/humid temps?

Hi,
I have read many great and helpful travel tips throughout this board.
What i would like to know is, is all this precautions necessary?
For example, i would be exploring NYC in July.
Now during the heatwave and humidity i would be wearing sleeveless tops, skirts, shorts, etc.
How am i supposed to hide my documents under my clothing, etc???
Thats what i don't understand... how do people do it.
I think i might just have my handbag with all my documents, money, etc when i go out to do the siteseeing. Its that foolish or are there better ways to protect my valuables without it been a burden.
Thanks!

Jun 15th, 2001, 02:58 AM
Denise

I agree with you.
I find wearing one of those bumbags (thats what we call them in Australia) or fanny pack quite hideous.
I think if you are wary of where you are and those around you, you will have no problems at all.
Look at it this way, there are thousands of New Yorkers going about their business everyday and have no problems at all. Thants just my opinion.

Jun 15th, 2001, 04:01 AM
Anne

Hi Jenny
I will also be NYC in July and wearing summer clothing. I am going to do what I do every trip and that is to leave the important documents in the hotel safe (where they should remain until you leave) and go out with my credit card and a little cash. I take my usual handbag and put my purse, camera, drink bottle in it and off I go. The trick is to try an look like a native and not a tourist. Be confident and have common sense and everything will be fine. Enjoy your trip. Maybe I'll see around.

Anne in Australia

Jun 15th, 2001, 07:22 AM
rqf

Just returned from driving my wife to 45th and Broadway - Times Square area. Hundreds of people in the streets wearing shorts, sleeveless tops, sneakers appropriate for a day of sightseeing . It is obvious they are visitors so trying not to look like a tourist in summer is very difficult. Most of the women were carrying handbags, or wearing a fanny pack. There was an occasional back pack. Leave your valuables and documents in the hotel safe and only carry the minimal essentials - credit card, cash, some form of ID.

Jun 15th, 2001, 07:52 AM
kim

I just realized that when I go to Europe I use money belt type thing but when I travel in the US, I don't think twice about carrying my purse like I always do. I just returned from a weekend in NYC and never worried about my valuables that much.

That said, there are some precautions I always take. I carry limited money and limited credit cards, better yet, if you are travel with a companion, try to split things between you. My husband and I might get $100 - $200 from an ATM and then I carry half and he carries half. We try to use credit cards so that we don't carry much cash. It would probably be a good idea for me to carry one credit card (say Visa) while he carries another (say Amex). Remove everything you don't need from your purse!

Try to carry a purse (or backpack or whatever) that closes with a zipper or something that takes some effort to get into. An open bag is an invitation.

Last of all, I do tend to carry my purse on my shoulder but held in front of me, never over my should towards the back, because I know how easy it would be in a crowd for someone to get into it.

If you are worried about "documents" - I guess this means passport, but I am not sure what else - make sure you make copies of everything that is important and keep one set back at the hotel if you feel you need to carry the original on you. Other documents, such as plane tickets, reservations, etc., can be left at the hotel until they are needed. It still wouldn't hurt to have back ups of those as well, but don't carry it if you don't absolutely need it.

Hope that helps!

Kim

Jun 15th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Leesha

Hi Jenny, Welcome!! You are right, July in NYC is hazy, hot and humid, so dress light!!!!!
As above, I'd recommend leaving the important docs in your hotel safe, and just take the minimums when sightseeing.
I've lived and worked in NYC my whole life and I usually carry a pocketbook with a long strap that I wear cross wise across my chest, instead of dangling off my shoulder. This way you can keep your bag in front of you and someone would have a hard time grabbing it. Wearing your bag this way also leaves your hands free.
Lots of people carry backpacks, but I find them a little cumbersome. Since you are carrying it behind you, you can't see if someone tries to unzip. It's also hard to reach in quickly for money, Metrocard, etc.
If there is anything else that I can help with, please post. Have a wonderful trip!! Leesha O.

Jun 15th, 2001, 07:39 PM
jenny

Thankyou all for your great tips.
I have been researching for this trip for about a month now and talking to actual residents of NY has been invaluable.
I will leave my documents such as passport, plane tickets in hotel safe, and carry the rest of my things in my handbag.
Hopefully i won't be easily spotted as a tourist!
Thanks again!

Jun 30th, 2001, 06:39 AM
PJ

Help! A group of students 17-18 years and parents are visiting New York around July 27. We already have tickets to 2 Broadway Plays. Can anyone suggest what
we should wear to the plays and what kind of dress is ok for New York? What about small purse backpacks or fanny packs?
thanks so much

Jun 30th, 2001, 08:22 AM
paula

People go to the theater in varying types of dress. Usually, smart casualis fine - khakis and button down shirts, dress pants/skirts for the girls. Of ocurse you will see those dressed to the hilt, but they are more the exception than the norm. If you are going to a matinee, casual dress is fine.

It also depedns on what you are seeing - it seems the Phantom crowd dresses up more than the Blast crowd, for instance.

Jun 30th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Caitlin

I would recommend only using a fanny pack if you are wearing it on the front, and only non-valuables (no wallets, cameras, etc.) should be in backpacks. It's doubtful anything will happen to you, but the most likely way for you to be pickpocketed is for someone to get in a bag behind you in a crowded ares. Purses slung across the chest are best, but regardless, keep them snapped and zipped and keep your hand on it.

I've seen tourists wearing shorts to Broadway shows, and it's tacky. But you don't need to dress up a lot, just be neat and skip the shorts and jeans.

Jul 1st, 2001, 01:14 AM
BTilke

We spend all of June, July and August in NYC during the summer of 98 and a hot humid day can be incredibly draining. So be prepared to adjust your schedule accordingly--you might not be able to do as much as you planned. Walk on the shady side of the street as much as possible.
Also, I often felt gritty just walking around. I started carrying a bunch of individually wrapped moist towelettes in my purse--they came in handy either for washing my hands or just a light refreshing wipe across my face. Recommend you do the same...
BTilke

Jul 1st, 2001, 02:22 PM
em

NY cools down a lot after 6pm and is cooler before 9am. Days are long in july so you can do more of the outdoor stuff like seeing central park, st patricks, circle line, later in the day on a hot one. Go to an a/c museum during midday--the met has a neat roof garden you can run up to for the view and some rays.
Just plan a bit and you will be fine.

Search this Thread