Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel Time to Waimea Area in Kauai (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-time-to-waimea-area-in-kauai-326109/)

NHC Jun 10th, 2003 05:26 PM

Travel Time to Waimea Area in Kauai

I was wondering how long of a drive it is from the North Shore of Kauai to the Waimea area. We are getting ready to schedule the Inter-Island helicopter ride out of Hanapepe, and was wondering whether it would be better to drive there and back to the north shore, or to drive there on our way to the south shore where we will be staying for our last night. How long of a drive is it total from North Shore to South Shore driving on the west side of the island? Any help would be much appreciated!

margot55 Jun 10th, 2003 06:33 PM

Aloha NHC ((R))-

From Princeville on the north side to Waimea is about a 1 hour drive, a little less to Hanapepe. I would say that if you are doing the InterIsland excursion on a day that you're still staying north and not planning on any other south or west side activities that same day, you'd be better off waiting until you the day you'll be staying south. On the other hand...there has been many a time when we've stayed north and just to get out of the rain and to find a sunny beach, we'll make that drive to the west side where there's almost guaranteed sun! In any case, you'll love the InterIsland tour, it's the only helicopter outfit we go on, and no matter how long your drive, it's well worth it! If you need any more tips or info, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] - we're heading out to Kauai in 15 days!!! Enjoy!

bogart Jun 11th, 2003 02:26 AM

We stayed at the Princeville and did the heli tour through InterIsland - I think we allowed 1 1/2 hrs to get there...and it took about 1 1/4. Beware of traffic, especially in and around Kapaa.

I agree with Margot...consider doing the tour while you are already on the s. shore. We stayed north but checked out the s. shore while we were down there.

have fun!

Sheila54 Jun 11th, 2003 06:37 AM

We picked a Sunday to spend on the south shore and the traffic was not bad. We did a morning flight with interisland. We then stopped at Brick Over Pizza for lunch (great pizza) and then drove up Waimea Canyon. After Waimea Canyon we stopped at JoJo's for shaved ice (wonderful) and then stopped by to see the Blow Hole. It was a wonderful day.

Kal Jun 11th, 2003 06:56 AM

S'54,
You stopped by and saw my Brother in Law? I didn't know he was on the island when you were there? :-d

I've learned to always error on the side of safety when it comes to travel times on Kauai.

You never know when you're going to be caught behind someone who is doing 30-35mph in a 50mph zone, only to speed up in the passing lanes!
<A pet peeve even on the mainland!>

Remember the bypasses around Kapaa and Lihue. Can save you some time.
199 until ((R))((R)) ((P)) !!!
Kal