Travel time in July Manhattan to JFK

Mar 18th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Travel time in July Manhattan to JFK

Hi Guys,

I have planned a trip to NYC and LA this coming July, i have not booked a hotel in NYC yet because i have a NYC to LA flight at 8:20am at JFK. Im thinking of booking a hotel closer to the airport or is Manhattan traffic fine if i leave like 2 and half hours early, around 5:30am?

Thanks
Mar 18th, 2015, 05:09 AM

How early you need to arrive at JFK depends on whether or not you are checking bags, and the travel time is dictated more by the day of the week than the month (is this a weekday or a weekend?). If you're not checking bags, arriving by 7 is fine. If you're taking a taxi, allow 30 to 45 minutes depending on the location of your hotel.

You could certainly book a hotel closer to the airport, but they are all pretty mediocre. If you stay on the east side of Manhattan instead of Times Square, you can be at JFK in 30 minutes if you leave your hotel at 6am. If it were me, I'd prefer to get up at 5am after spending the night in Manhattan than traveling out to Queens and staying at an airport hotel.

Just be sure to book a car service so that it is waiting for you at the appropriate time. You don't want to try to find a taxi at that hour (though you probably could in a pinch).
Mar 18th, 2015, 05:12 AM

If you are on a budget, you can stay in a hotel near Penn Station and take the Long Island Railroad and Airtrain to the airport. Buy your tickets the night before and know what train you're going to take, and then just hop five or so minutes before departure (they don't announce tracks much more than 7 or 8 minutes before departure). That is a third the cost of a taxi for one person, but you have to allow 45 minutes. But again, taking a 6am train will be just fine. It's 25 minutes to Jamaica, another 10 or 15 to the terminal, and then a 5-minute walk from there to the check-in desks (a bit longer for JetBlue, which is a longer walk).
Mar 18th, 2015, 05:31 AM

at 5:30 am you should get from Manhattan to JFK in less than 35 minutes by car service - you are ahead of rush hour. (If you have limited luggage you can do LIRR - but then you need to haul to and through the train station.)

I would not stay at a hotel near the airport - since dining options and other services tend to be minimal or nonexistent (IMHO they are good only for very brief overnights between figts).
Mar 19th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Im actually travelling from South Africa, spending 2nights in NYC and 2nights in LA, flight is on a friday at 8:20am to LA.
Mar 19th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Yes i will be checking in bags,

thanks guys.
Mar 19th, 2015, 07:15 AM

Most airlines require you to check in bags at JFK at least 30 minutes before a domestic flight (60 minutes for an international flight). That's because of security requirements. That's the real reason you need to be at the airport early. You can almost certainly check in for your flight online, but getting there 60 minutes in advance is certainly enough for a domestic flight.
Mar 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM

I would not count on arriving at the airport that close to departure - since you need to allow for the sometimes truly dreadful security lines. I have several times - and for different airlines - seen security lines that are 45 minutes or longer to get through. And that is after lines to drop off luggage.

And plane door often clost 20 to 30 minutes before flight time.

IMHO everyone has to decide how risk averse they are - but the specific airline's reco for the flight should not be ignored.