Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel time fr.Gallup NM to Sedona (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-time-fr-gallup-nm-to-sedona-517121/)

jenny Mar 30th, 2005 12:35 PM

Travel time fr.Gallup NM to Sedona

We'll be driving from Santa Fe to Sedona. Our plan is to stop overnight in Gallup NM , and next AM to continue fr. there to Sedona. It seemed that it is very doable, but..? We want to have plenty of time to enjoy the drive down from Flagstaff to Sedona on Rt. 89 through Oak Creek Canyon.Thanks for the advice !!!

ronkala Mar 30th, 2005 12:46 PM

Freetrip.com will give you time and mileage.

Do NOT stay at a hotel on rte 66 in Gallup. The railroad tracks are across the street and the trains will keep you awake during the night

jenny Mar 30th, 2005 12:54 PM

Now that was a very important tip !!! Thanks , Ronkala ! Where should we stop ??? I think most of motels/hotels in Gallup are along #66, and it seemed to be just the right distance for our stopover .
Any suggestions where we should stay ??
We'll be driving from Santa Fe area to Sedona , stopping for 1 night on the way.Help !

seniormsuedu Mar 30th, 2005 12:55 PM

i would get an early start from santa fe, visit acoma pueblo, and stay overnight in flagstaff. many good motels. then in a.m. take the wonderful drive through oak creek canyon to sedona.

jenny Mar 30th, 2005 01:12 PM

The wrinkle in this is that we'll get an early start from Santa Fe , but plan to take the loop-driving tour West of Santa Fe, which will bring us to Rt. 25 and we'll pick up Rt# 40 West. It will be PM by that time. I thought Gallup would be the right distance to cover, but maybe we should aim for Holbrook AZ down the line..... ?

lvk Mar 30th, 2005 01:16 PM

We did this exact same drive. I believe we stopped for lunch in Gallup. We stopped for the night in Holbrook, AZ. We got up early the next morning and took a quick drive through the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, before heading for Sedona. If you go during daylight savings time (we didn't), you might be able to make it to the Painted Desert around sunset.

There are several Best Western/Days Inn/Comfort Inn properties right along the highway. I can't remember which we chose, but it was clean and basic, with an indoor swimming pool and a refrigerator in the room.

Chele60 Mar 30th, 2005 01:22 PM

Whatever you do, I would advise against spending any time in Gallup, NM. Back in 1976, when I was a teenager, my family ended up spending the night there. It was dark and we just didn't want to chance going any farther. It was the scariest place I've ever been - and I've been in some scary places! I would never ruin a potentially good vacation by going there again. Drive all night to Flagstaff if you have to or stay in this Holbrook, but do not bother with Gallup!

ElendilPickle Mar 30th, 2005 02:02 PM

I don't find Gallup to be scary, but Holbrook is only about 90 minutes to two hours west of Gallup. I'd stay there instead, unless it's getting late when you hit Gallup.

You say you're doing a loop west of Santa Fe - so I'm guessing Los Alamos/Jemez Springs/Bernalillo to I-25? If so, stop at The Range Cafe in Bernalillo for lunch - great food! From there, it's a little over two hours to Gallup.

Lee Ann

rb_travelerxATyahoo Mar 30th, 2005 02:14 PM

gee, I've stayed twice in Gallup, and don't remember trains keeping me awake! And interference with my sleep is not something I easily forget!

I do remember seeing many trains along the way, however.

Stop in Jerome along the way, and you'll also find lots of opportunity to purchase Native American crafts/jewelry along your route. Check out Sliding rock Park (I think that's the name) between Flagstaff & Sedona.

ronkala Mar 30th, 2005 03:56 PM

The tracks run parallel to rte 66 and there are several crossings along that stretch. The train's whistle was blown as it approached each crossing. We selected Gallup because we were driving from OK City, going to Canyon de Chelly the next day, and didn't want to push on Window Rock to stay there.

At freetrip.com, check off the hotel price range you are interested in and see what comes up along I-40.

rkkwan Mar 30th, 2005 04:26 PM

I've also stayed at Gallup, NM with no problem of train noise. Maybe ronkala is staying a motel closer to the old town center? As he mentioned, there are grade crossings and the trains will blow the whistle.

But there are many new motels on either side of town, especially on the west side at Exit 16 off I-40. I don't think you'll have any noise problem at any of the motels there.

sharrin Mar 30th, 2005 05:00 PM

I agree with rkkwan about the hotels west of town at Exit 16 off I40. We have stayed there two different times. Once at the Best Western Inn and Suites and, just in September at the Holiday Inn. We were not bothered by train noise either time. But the tracks are across the street, but the trains did not blow their whistles. We also had rooms in the back of the hotel. Both places included a hot buffet breakfast with eggs, bacon, fruit, and much more in the price. It believe both were under $70 a night(AARP rate).

jenny Mar 30th, 2005 06:24 PM

I am so glad to get a good response. Makes me feel that Gallup is a good stopping place, after all . Actually, I was thinking to stay at Best Western at exit 16, and that breakfast sounded very good , sharrin !
Yes, ElandilPickle, we are doing the Jemez Trail loop from Santa Fe , and I've jotted down your suggestion aboutThe Range Cafe. Thanks.
Chele60, I appreciate your comments, but your trip was 29 yrs. ago, and I truly hope it has changed for the better. By the other comments it seems it has.
I thank you all for your help. We're looking forward to the trip !It is our first to Santa Fe and Sedona. We have been to some other well-known places, like GC, Petrified Forest etc.I wish we had more time, but we'll just have to do it again.

snewt770 Apr 27th, 2005 12:54 PM

I just returned from Santa Fe & Sedona. The weather was outstanding with the brightest blue skies I've ever seen. You are in for a treat!