Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Travel "Play": If You Could Design The Perfect Travel Bedroom...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said bedroom because "hotel room" eliminates the lovely B&B's, home shares, hostels etc. so, here goes:

THE PERFECT TRAVEL BEDROOM:

On vacation the perfect bedroom has a huge king size bed. If I am travelling with hubby that works and if I am travelling with girlfriends that works too.

After the bed size the room size is most important. The perfect room holds many suitcases in it's own in-room storage closet that has a nice security lock on it.

The bathroom has double sinks and a large hot tub style tub with jets and sprays and the works.

The lighting is no less than 100 watt bulbs in the lamps and aproximately 300 watts from the ceiling fixture...preferably a lovely chandelier. Dimmer switches are everywhere.

I would want sound proof and polished handwood floors, a large fireplace, a private balcony or patio and one floor length mirror is necessary.

Two dressers, a functional desk and a view of a monument would be great!

Of couse a large arrangement of fresh flowers, champagne and a small basket of foods from that country or town would be perfect!

I would not need a tv, room service or the coffee pot.
I would not want this room near the elevator, ice machines, laundry room or above the bar or Ballroom...

ok, your turn...

Happy "Play" Travels,
Oaktown Traveler

I would not need
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

oops...delet the postscript...happens when you ARE watching tv while posting(smile).
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:22 AM

And it all has to cost under $125 per night : - )....

I wouldn't mind being tucked in by a handsome bellhop either.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:28 AM
GoTravel

Overlooking Central Park with a fireplace.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not add a description of the room(s) you've had that came closest to your ideal? I'll think about it and post later...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:34 AM

I need the damned coffee pot!
lol
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:39 AM

After clean sheets, the coffee pot is the most important thing.....unless of course room service is VERY fast in the morning....
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM

The bathroom needs to have the sink and/or vanity with mirror OUTSIDE of the room where the toilet and shower are! This allows one person to shower and the other to do hair/makeup at the same time, and not have the mirror fog up and make it impossible. It is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine when they are all in the same room.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM

I agree with Christie about the "divided" bathroom. But I disagree about the king size bed--we think they're too big, like to be cozier. Bedside tables with lamps on both sides of the bed.

Also like a coffee maker for the morning.

Plus a sofa to curl up on to read or watch TV--yes, I like a TV in the room.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM

I like your room and I would add luxury linens are a must. Great pillows, sheets with a minimum thread count of 250, and the bottom sheet must be a fitted sheet. Towels and robes should be large, fluffy, thick, and numerous. A warming towel rack would also be nice.

In bath, a lighted, swiveling, magnifying makeup mirror is required.

Blackout shades that securely close on the window and something to cover the peephole to block out the laser ray of light from the hallway would be great.

And I want the coffee pot back. You can keep the iron and ironing board.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM

I'd like one with a maid who knows a way to make the bed without tucking in all sheets and blankets, so that when you go to get into it, even the bottom sheets all come untucked!! About as frustrating as being short-sheeted.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Interesting, Oaktown,

You've almost described my bedroom/bathroom at home, less just a couple of amenities.

I think that's why with the exception of a clean & functional room, I really don't care where I stay when I travel! Luxury hotels don't do it for me.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM

A nice balcony with a beautiful view of gardens, landscape, water, etc....
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:48 AM

Down comforters and tripple sheeting always win me over.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:45 AM

It's good not being the first poster here, because reading the posts reminds me of certain things.

1) Comfortable king size bed with about 7 pillows--not the smashed flat pillows or the noisy plastic ones, just nice plump pillows.

2) The blanket is surrounded by a top and bottom sheet.

3) Thick luxurious comforter, that feels make the bed feel like you are visiting a B&B

4) Walk in closets are great, I like hiding the luggage and clothing, so it really feels like a home away from home

5) I don't drink coffee, but we drink multiple cups of tea daily, so an alternative to the coffee pot so that our cups of tea don't taste like coffee

6) Nicely appointed amenities for the bath and shower are always appreciated, as are fluffy white robes.

7) Don't need the hotel hairdryer--not enough juice for my thick hair. Just takes up space.

8) Where possible, I always appreciate a suite instead of a room, or just an oversized room with a couch or sitting area adds a lot.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:52 AM

For the room to be "Perfect," it would have to be TOTALLY sound proof! All walls and the door should be made of something where I could not hear anything from the outside or the hallway or the neighboring rooms!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:13 PM

Tickle Pink Inn, Carmel Highlands, CA... King, Fireplace, Jacuzzi Suite

All of the above... ahhhh the memories
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 12:37 PM
Kal

We have a near perfect bedroom already.
Only thing is if we could get a slightly bigger fridge and a queen sized bed, it would be ono-liscious!
Nuthin' better than being able to lay in bed and watch the sunrise thru your lanai door.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

FABULOUS replies and a great game of travel...
I was experiencing technical difficulties so I was not able to "be here".

My THANKS to the wonderful Fodor folks for their magic!

Ok, looks like we have truly created the Perfect Travel Bedroom...now, let's send our specifications to the hotel industry and see if they can meet our expectations...giggle.

Happy Travels,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM

This is a stupid post,but I'm as bored as the rest of you so I read all the replies.
What a friggin dream world you all live in. Fantasizing about perfect bedrooms and having a competition over who will travel to more exotic places on their "hubbies" paycheck in 2004.

Bring back Bunchargum,his troll posts aren't nearly as vomit inducing as this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -