Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Travel Plans-Am Coming down with cold-help please

Travel Plans-Am Coming down with cold-help please

Oct 14th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Travel Plans-Am Coming down with cold-help please

Hi! Back in Aug. I had a cold, now, somehow it's trying to get me again - bad cough, etc; I'm supposed to travel next Tues. for a week and am scared.. Any tips/home remedies, personal experience on how to get rid of this within a week and if I DO have to travel, what have YOU taken to help stuffiness or discomfort? Prayers, please. Thanks.
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:29 AM

I rarely get colds, but when I do feel one coming on, I have great luck using Zicam, an OTC med in the cold/allergy section. It is applied to the nasal passages and decreases the length and severity of the cold. It comes in two forms, I prefer the swabs which are coated with the medication. The trick is to start doing this as soon as you feel the cold coming on. Good luck.
Oct 14th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Juinmi, thanks! Does Zicam have any secondary effects like rapid heartbeat (like the antihistamines)? From what you said, you swab it inside the nostrils? Thanks SO much again.
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Echinacea as directed - I put the drops in water for three straight days. Cold-eeze that contains Zinc..Zicam sounds good..they have it in mist, swab or spray for mouth. Hot soup. Plenty of rest..sweat it out..go into the sun;might dry you up. BUT always remember to see a doc. Hope you can make your trip. Ask doc if you can take something to dry any mucus up. Use a nasal decongestant for a couple days before traveling...ask doc first! Good luck!
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:09 AM

I second the recommendation for Cold-eeze. I had a horrible cold and it went away the next day with Cold-eeze.

Hope you feel better soon.
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Sleep! Take a sick day NOW, and rest. Drink liquids, including Emergen-C (a vitamin packet you dissolve in water, available a drug stores, Costco, online). Stay away from dairy products. You might want to resort to nasal irrigation -- dissolve 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt in about a cup of warm water. (Faint of heart, stop reading now.) Go to the biggest sink in your house, or do this during your next shower. Put the cup under your nose, tip slightly, and inhale the mixture into your nose; continue sniffing to force the mixture down your nasal/sinus passages. Spit out. Repeat until you've finished the mixture.
Is it fun? No. Does it work? Yes. Be SURE to use the baking soda/salt additions, don't try with plain warm water.
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Miriam...I am with you on this...just caught a cold over the weekend, apparently it's going around....

Best advice I got (other than echinacea) from an old boss was this: Take slices of pure lemon, honey and sliced up ginger root (slice it yourself into tiny pieces) in a cup and add boiling water to it. Stir it, adding honey or lemon to suit your taste with a sprig of peppermint and drink while still hot. Gave this to 3 people and all felt better in a day or two. Hope this helps, but you have some good suggestions already!
Oct 14th, 2003, 09:46 AM

I'll add that I think one of the most important is to get lots of sleep ... as much as you can ... and let you body (along with the cold remedies of your choice) fight it off.
Oct 15th, 2003, 12:21 AM

I just flew across the country with a bad sinus infection cold and I recommend that you do EVERYTHING you can to get rid of it before you go (including calling your Dr) and then make sure you fly with a decongestant and nasal spray and I highly recommend earplanes. I did fine using all three things and doubt if I would have without them. Good luck!!
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:12 AM

First and foremost, get some sleep. Take a sick day if you have to, you won't be sorry. An entire day off of your feet can do wonders for nipping something in the bud. Also, I POSITIVELY SWEAR by NyQuil and DayQuil for the easing of cold symptoms. There is nothing like those two around. Also, stay hydrated. Water, soup, anything you can get your hands on (but nothing with caffeine as this tends to DEhydate you by making you pee.) You should be better in a few days with these, and the other, suggestions.
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions, feedback and encouragement. I plan to see my doc today. I woke up hardly able to swallow due to pain, my ear feels plugged up. I don't know that I can get better by Tuesday, I wonder if by taking meds it will alleviate it and I will be able to travel. I don't know. Where I'm going the weather is about 50 and 33 at night, so if I DO go out, I may have to stay in at night. Geez, this is a blow. Oh! Question! I bought insurance, in case I was unable to go, I could at least get the 2 fares returned. However, it stipulates you have to be sick that day...does anyone know how that works? I've never gotten insurance before. Thanks!
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Echinacea has helped me numerous times in the past. I always tend to run myself down on trips, especially the few days before I leave. You'd think by now I'd just start taking the Echinacea a week before a trip to help my immune system ahead of time, but haven't got that smart yet. Next time I plan to do that, though.
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was kind enough to come forward with such warm support. Your suggestions, advise and helpful tips were wonderful. Much to my heartbreak, I've gone ahead and cancelled the trip. I'm on antibiotics, Humibid, Flonase, etc; all the things a doc puts you on. Although my trip wasn't until this coming Tuesday, I can't chance my ears being affected as I had an ear operation about 10 years ago already. I will instead try to drive up to Disneyworld if I'm up to it. Once again, your warmth and care truly cheered me up and I actually tried the ZICAM, Echinachea, ColdEEEEze and even tried to sleep some, so thank you all again. I love Fodors and the fantastic Fodorites. Maybe next year. ;-)
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Hi, Miriam!

Our thoughts are with you!

GET WELL SOON!

Jason
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Jason and all: Thank you again.

Search this Thread