Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel??or:BabyNames,PuppyNames,Recipes, BirdsInMyYard,BirdMovies&generalB.S.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-or-babynames-puppynames-recipes-birdsinmyyard-birdmovies-and-generalb-s-441537/)

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jun 11th, 2004 08:06 AM

Travel??or:BabyNames,PuppyNames,Recipes, BirdsInMyYard,BirdMovies&generalB.S.?

Been really wondering about the direction this message board seems to be taken. While nice that people can be friendly to each other, seems like just a little too many "shoot the sh--" threads going on. It *IS* supposed to be TRAVEL TALK, isn't it?

One Fodorite tried to dismiss this trend as "sometimes we just like to color outside the lines" as a reason to go against the forums' rules .... I never did get a response to my question that did s/he also think OTHER rules don't apply either, such as "No swimming after 10PM".

There ARE other message boards available for chummy coffee klatch conversation. Am I wrong to think treads like those in my subject line belong there, not here at Fodors' "Travel Talk"? Can't the very interesting "Friday Rant & Raves" be enough for off-topic discussion?

This thread will probably be (rightfully) deleted, and maybe the other non-travel ones too, but I'll enjoy reading the replies in the meantime.

GoTravel Jun 11th, 2004 08:08 AM

rb, if you read my bird documentary post, you will find out it is as much a travel documentary as much as a bird one.

Aren't you breaking your own rules by starting this thread?

travleis Jun 11th, 2004 08:09 AM

Is it too early in the day for a beer?

Diana Jun 11th, 2004 08:14 AM

...or a mood-altering drug of some kind?

99% of the talk on the board is about travel, and it's Friday, sunny, 90+ degrees outside, and people are happy.

If a few want to cut loose and chat, what's the problem?

I've posted 1000's of (hopefully helpful) travel hints since I've been on fodors.com (3 yrs +).

If I wanna cut loose and talk about birds for one Friday, I will! :)

PamSF Jun 11th, 2004 08:30 AM

oh my goodness,rb. Pick and choose your threads..it's relatively easy to do.
If you'd like a travel tip,close your eyes, go to the place where all the "BS" posts bother you and breathe there, breathe again and again.

bugswife1 Jun 11th, 2004 08:35 AM

ugh. let me guess--you are president of a co-op board or a hall monitor too? just don't reply if the thread doesn't suit you, and let Fodor's worry about what belongs here and what doesn't. And by the way, I had to TRAVEL from my lounge chair to my desk to type this.

Gardyloo Jun 11th, 2004 08:37 AM

And next time please leave some spaces between the words on your topic title - it goofs up the left hand frame. Thanks.

Budman Jun 11th, 2004 08:48 AM

<And next time please leave some spaces between the words on your topic title - it goofs up the left hand frame. Thanks.>

I'll drink to that. ((b))

Now that everybody will be topping this, I can only hope that someone would curse so it will go away sooner rather than later!! ((b))

hibiscushouse Jun 11th, 2004 08:51 AM

Do you get kicked off it you curse?

Budman Jun 11th, 2004 08:53 AM

I would think so. Be a martyr for us all. ((a)) ((b))

Tandoori_Girl Jun 11th, 2004 09:04 AM

#$%&*%$^%#@!!!!!

And I mean that.

hibiscushouse Jun 11th, 2004 09:06 AM

No, just the title of this post reminded me of something. You should have seen the huge blue heron in my tree this morning (or was that a hummingbird?) Damn he was big!
We thought about naming him Henry the Heron, but was curious and thought I'd ask. What do you all name your herons?

bonniebroad Jun 11th, 2004 09:10 AM

rb_traveler, I am one Fodorite who doesn't answer your questions because they are out-of-line! One last thing on this subject..... your constant sniping at others about the suitability of their posts is far more disruptive to this Board than any so-called off-topic posting that someone might occasionally do.

Tandoori_Girl Jun 11th, 2004 09:12 AM

rb, have you ever given a party and nobody came?

Ryan Jun 11th, 2004 09:16 AM

Isn't a bit hypocritical for you to be critical of non-travel related posts in your own non-travel related post.

Isn't this a case of "do what I say, not what I do."

wow Jun 11th, 2004 09:18 AM

rb, I hate to be the one to break it to you... but you just got voted off this island....the reason this board is so great is b/c sometimes we stray from "travel" topics. It's what gives this board personality! So you have 3 choices:
1. Stop whining about us,
2. Learn to live with us, or
3. Don't visit us anymore
And, by the way....I think Henry the Heron is a very fine name!! :)
Happy Friday everyone!

atilla Jun 11th, 2004 09:23 AM

rb: I do understand your frustration with some of the subject matter on this forum. BUT I must admit that I am guilty of replying to non-travel related subjects. When a topic really bothers me badly, I express my disdain for it and move on.

Just let it go, worry about the big stuff. When a loved one becomes ill or there is some other tragedy in your life, the topics on Fodors will be trivial to you, I promise.

SantaClaus Jun 11th, 2004 09:33 AM

rb, Old Santa is concerned you are being naughty and not so nice. Once you have traveled all over the world like old Santa has, you will agree that the nicest people are the ones on the world wide web. The internet is bigger than all of us, and there is plenty of room for all the girls and boys. Even that naughty GoTravel.

I have two big lumps of coal waiting for you unless you mend your ways. Now let me get back to my sun-bathing before Mrs. Claus catches me without my boots on (or anything else). And if you can't see the good in what's going on here, then go take a trip. I recommend Tahiti.

ellen_griswold Jun 11th, 2004 09:35 AM

Amen, santa! Will adopt me? I can be very very good! ;)

Meesthare Jun 11th, 2004 10:04 AM

rb, here's a travel tip for you. Why don't you go take a flying .... oh, never mind. I'm in too good a mood. Have a great weekend. :)