Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel on the 4th of July is just to dangerous (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-on-the-4th-of-july-is-just-to-dangerous-235826/)

Vance Jul 1st, 2002 11:53 AM

Travel on the 4th of July is just to dangerous

THe according to the newspapers, "The FBI has issued a law enforcement bulletin asking police to be on heightened alert." <BR><BR>I find this statement very interesting. Law enforcement agencies must have been pretty lazy last week if they need to be put on a hightened state of alert over the 4th of July. Were they not being alert before?<BR><BR>I see this as a reason not to go outside over the 4th of July, it is just to dangerous!! <BR>

gail Jul 1st, 2002 11:56 AM

I alway wonder what they mean when they say we are at maximum level of alert and then raise that level. (That was before we had indecipherable color-coded levels of worry)<BR><BR>I plan to stay inside and shoot off illegal fireworks.

Sam Jul 1st, 2002 11:58 AM

Is this the same Vance that always bashes Southwest Airlines?<BR><BR>By the way, it's "too" dangerous. And I plan to be out celebrating just as before.

Sly Fox Jul 1st, 2002 12:08 PM

It's too dangerous just to get out of bed in the morning. You could get run over by a runaway truck, the subway may derail, a cement block could hit you on the head, or depending on where you live, you could perish in an earthquake, volcano, or typhoon. In the words of a very wise man I once knew, you're going to live until you die so don't waste time worrying and anticipating about it. I'm not making fun of you because I understand the feeling. Just don't waste the time you do have. Those murdering fanatical s.o.b.'s would like nothing better.

xxx Jul 1st, 2002 12:08 PM

"too"<BR><BR>Once is a typo. Twice is ignorant.

Beth Jul 1st, 2002 12:12 PM

From someone whose husband is one of those federal law enforcement on heightened alert, I will say that staying in is obviously your choice but not necessary. As a matter of fact law enfocement personnal have been put on the "heightened alert" several times. If you watched the news carefully you would know that. It doesn't necessarily mean they will be watching more closely but just that more manpower will be utilized. I doubt very few if any law enforcement officers will get the 4th as a holiday this year. I know our plans got cancelled and my husband will be working now even though he was scheduled to be off and we were supposed to go to Hilton Head as he requested vacation time 6 weeks ago!!

The Jul 1st, 2002 12:37 PM

Vance, if you stay in your bomb shelter over the holiday, you should be safe.

lima Jul 1st, 2002 12:55 PM

The terorists like to suprise us. too do a bad thing when evrybody is expecting it is not there way.

Chris Jul 1st, 2002 12:58 PM

Dear Vance, Gail and Lima,<BR>Are you all the same person or did all of you flunk 3rd grade? What's up with the horrible spelling?

lori Jul 1st, 2002 01:18 PM

The FBI have said this latest threat is just that - a threat. There has been no time or place named, which is why we're not on red alert. But obviously security has to be tighter around a national holiday.<BR><BR>I don't see a reason to hide my head in the sand like an ostrich. Have a happy 4th!

Jenny Jul 1st, 2002 01:27 PM

If Israel with all its troops and programs to stop terrorists, can't do the job (people dying every week), then how can our police and FBI protect us? They can not be everywhere!<BR><BR>I agree with the orginal poster. Stay at home if all possible!

x Jul 1st, 2002 01:50 PM

Hey Vance-You run out of meds again or what??? Take your chicken little attitude you little twerp and go someplace else...

Claire Jul 1st, 2002 01:54 PM

Vance, Lima, Jenny and the rest of you cowards...You run a greater risk of getting killed on your way to work than by a terrorist. Drunk drivers will kill more people this year than terrorists and automobiles are death machines. When your number is up it is up, you can't avoid it. You can either stick your head in the sand and be miserable or choose to live your life.

what?! Jul 1st, 2002 02:00 PM

Gail, please have many fire extinguishers in your house when you shoot the fireworks off INSIDE your house!

Bob Brown Jul 1st, 2002 02:22 PM

I keep hearing of the "heightened alerts". If the terrorists wanted to do us in, why not hit a big stadium during football season when two major teams are playing? I don't recall a "heightened alert" for the Georgia - Florida game, when everyone it seems is semi drunk. <BR><BR>I suppose the Feds will keep yelling "Terrorists Alert", like Gomer Pyle yelling "Citizens Arrest" at Barney Fife on the old Andy Griffith Show. Hopefully their being correct will come infinitely later. I do see some parallels there. <BR><BR>

George Jul 1st, 2002 02:32 PM

to a certain extent you are correct. Those poor people on the planes and in the Towers could do nothing to change their fate that date. However, if you KNOW about threats you can take steps to minimise the dangers.For instance, there is no way I would go to Israel for my holidays. I wouldn't walk into no-go areas of NY or any other city at night. You are lying if you say you do not think about safety and if your number is up, it's up. Stop ridiculing people who have real fears.

Professor Jul 1st, 2002 02:50 PM

Another one: Jenny, "cannot" is one word, not two.

rob Jul 1st, 2002 03:00 PM

professor<BR>Ars***** is one word and that describes you. Look at the important points and not trivialities you sad person.<BR>Please reply to this, pointing out someother mistake and prove my point.

gail Jul 2nd, 2002 01:59 AM

To "what!" - it was a joke about setting them off inside the house. (Would the car be better?) To the person who commented on my spelling. Correct - you caught me. I did flunk third grade and then dropped out of skool.

Sunny Jul 2nd, 2002 02:25 AM

Actually, "can" and "not" are two separate words and can, under certain circumstances, be written without elision. It may be awkward but the awkwardness is sometimes warranted, as in: "You do not always have to correct grammar; you can not notice an error and you can not comment on it if you feel there is something more important to do at that moment." The meaning changes if you write "You cannot notice an error and you cannot comment on it...."