Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel from Philadelphia, PA to Charleston, SC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-from-philadelphia-pa-to-charleston-sc-1086653/)

familythattravels Feb 15th, 2016 08:41 AM

Travel from Philadelphia, PA to Charleston, SC

Family of 4 two kids ages 11 & 12. Looking to do a road trip to Charleston, SC. Rough sketch of a plan right now....include a stop over in Gettysburg and Charlottesville, VA. Spend 1 night at a stop on the way to Charleston with 2 to 3 nights in Charleston, SC and then break up the trip on the way back with another stop over.

Going in late March. Open to suggestions regarding routes and places to stay. Not looking for 5 star - interested in family friendly mid range options. We will have a car. We enjoy good food, walking tours, cultural activities and some history.

Thanks in advance -

Familythattravels

tomfuller Feb 15th, 2016 08:57 AM

If you live in the Philadelphia area, save Gettysburg for a 2 day trip from home instead of rushing through it on the way to Charlottesville.
Gettysburg is rather bleak in March. It is very active in early July when the reenactments take place.
You might want to come back on the coastal route (US 17).

familythattravels Feb 15th, 2016 09:02 AM

Thanks Tom - Good point about Gettysburg it is close. Will check out the coastal route.

familythattravels Mar 2nd, 2016 06:31 AM

Trying to pick a good halfway point on the way back. from Charleston. Staying in Charlottesville, VA on the way out. Need ideas for the last night on the road.

tomfuller Mar 2nd, 2016 07:30 AM

How about Lewes Delaware? Take the morning ferry to Cape May.

familythattravels Mar 2nd, 2016 11:12 AM

Looking for more of a halfway point. Lewes Delaware is pretty close.

tomfuller Mar 2nd, 2016 02:31 PM

Pocomoke City Maryland? Still take the Cape May ferry from Lewes.

Gretchen Mar 3rd, 2016 02:50 AM

I like the idea of saving Gettysburg.

If you went a little inland on the way back from Charleston, Winston Salem is a nice town. There is the historic part of Old Salem, a restored Moravian settlement. Also the Southern Decorative Arts Museum, a small museum of historic furniture/decor. The Winkler Bakery is not to be missed for the youngsters--buy delicious bread, Moravian sugar cake and cookies. Ours sat on the brick sidewalk and ate it at that age.
From Winston you can get interstates north and east back to Philadelphia. I don't think it would be a much longer drive back.

On the way to Charleston I suggest you take I95 south to I40 over to Wilmington and then down Route 17 to Charleston. It is a good road and more interesting than 95 further down.
You might make a little detour at Georgetown to its nice historic district that dates from Revolutionary War times. There is also Hobcaw Barony, just between Pawley's Island and Georgetown.
Pawley's Island (on the beach island) was where the rice planters of Charleston spent their summers to escape the malarial mosquitoes.

familythattravels Mar 3rd, 2016 04:11 PM

Thanks Gretchen will look into your suggestions.