Travel from LaGuardia into NYC

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel from LaGuardia into NYC

My husband and I are flying into LaGuardia around 12:15 PM on Tuesday, April 13. What's the best way to get from the airport into NYC? Let me specify and say that we'd like to do as cheap as possible, but we also want to get into the city as quickly as possible so we can start our fun. If this means taking a cab and spending more money versus spending less and having to transfer from bus to bus, then we'd rather do the former. Also I read in Fodors that sometimes you can do a cab share with other people. Have any of you had experience with this?

Thanks so much for your advice. We are SO EXCITED about coming. We haven't been to NYC in over 20 years! EEEKKK!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 08:44 AM
al

There are busses, there's the subway, there's the Super Shuttle, there are all sorts of ways but at the end of the day a taxi will take you from point 'a' to point 'b' for about the same amount of $$$ that everything else will take you from point 'a' to the VICINITY of point 'b'.

So the answer is: taxi.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:16 AM

A taxi will only cost about $20-25 & is definitely the fastest. You could choose to "share a ride" but you run the risk of being the 2nd stop. Unless you get one of the larger cabs, you'll be squished too.

One way to save a few bucks is to direct the taxi to take the 59th st bridge (no toll). They will usually take the Triborough bridge or the midtown tunnel.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Another option for 1 or 2 people is the New York Airport Service. $17 Roundtrip (each) with stops at GCT, PABT, and transfers to other parts of Manhattan.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html

(A decent compromise on cost/convenience, but I find it more worthwhile to find my own transfer from GC or PABT to my ultimate destination than to use thier shuttles to other Midtown locations)
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Sorry - the ariport service really doesn't save you any money. by the time you add 4 subway fares ($8) to the $34 shuttle fare you are at $42 - in the ballpark of the $40-$50 taxi roundtrip.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM

This is a total no-brainer: Taxi.

And depending on your final location in Manhattan, the Triborough Bridge might be the better route (despite the toll).

(Finally, the subway system does not service LGA. The only other options are bus, shuttle, car service, or a combination thereof (including the subway as a transfer).)
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM

I agree that for 2 people, it IS close, but many people coming to NY WANT to be near Times Sq ... according to where their hotel is, there may not be any extra charge to the NY AP Service shuttle (other than appropriate tip).

In addition, should their flight be delayed and they end up with traffic to contend with, there's no meter ticking away on the shuttle.

I don't think there is a "best" way (especially when one wants "cheap" and "quick", as the O.P. specified) ... but only a best way for the current circumstances. The OP should be aware of all the choices. Hitchhiking? <g>
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM

For more than one person, a taxi always makes the most sense since you are not paying 2 fares....and it is always the fastest way into town from Laguardia. I have shared rides with people I met in the taxi line. When the line is long, people might actually appreciate if you do this. You'd have to be talkative with the people around you, and ask if anyone wants to share a ride to Times Square or whatever. Taxis from Laguardia are willing to make more than 1 stop (unlike taxis from Newark).
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM

After several trips from LGA into the city, we've found that it's as cheap to use a private car service using a discount coupon found in many of the NYC travel guides. For $25. a town car driver will be waiting at LGA's baggage claim holding a sign with your name. True, you do have to pay tolls (unless you specify the route mentioned in an earlier post) and a tip, but that's the case with a taxi also. The Super Shuttle and similar services are a NIGHTMARE unless you just happen to be the first one dropped off. Otherwise you may spend an hour or more sitting in bumper to bumper traffic making five or six stops. My time is worth more than that (and if there are several of you, it will cost more than a car or taxi!) We have used a car service called Carmel, but there are dozens of them.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:13 AM

when you share a cab and you have a different drop off point that your co-sharers, you'll need to work out the fare ahead of time with the driver to make sure he/she doesn't try to take advantage of the situation. The fare should be based on the longest trip, with the first drop-off paying half of the fare to that point, the second drop-off paying the remainder, but both providing a fat tip to the cabbie.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my question. Looks like cab is the best way! I'll be sure to tell the cab driver to take the 59th St bridge.

Thanks again everyone!