Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Travel from East Village to Woodbury Outlet Shops

Old May 26th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am heading to New York for the first time next month (from New Zealand) and are staying in East Village. I would like to go to Woodbury Outlet shops, what is the easiest (and cost effective) way to get there? And is it worth going there or are we best to shop local to New York (not looking for high end shopping, just everyday good value. Thanks

Last edited by sherylflexman; May 26th, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:12 AM

If you are looking for designer stuff at cut rate prices the answer is yes...alot of folks bring an empty suitcase
to fill

There are a myriad of buses that leave from Port Authority (42nd & 8th avenue)

here is one: https://www.groupon.com/deals/shortline-coach-usa
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:12 AM

You should know that the "name brand" products sold at many of the Outlet shops (in Woodbury Commons (and other "Outlet Mall" throughout the country) are not the same quality as are sold in the particular company's retail stores or the major department stores. Clothing items, for instance, will look the same as far as design, color and styling but will often be made of a cheaper fabric. Likewise with shoes, they may look the same but the "leather" or other material will be of lesser quality. So what looks like a good bargain may not be as good as you think - you are not always comparing apples to apples. You have to be a very informed shopper.

Personally, we never found it was worth the trip.
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
As mentioned above, different clothes made just for outlet stores, are sold in them. I would never give up a day in NYC to travel to outer ring suburban NY State.
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, the girlfriend I am travelling with wasn't keen to give up a day of sightseeing to go there so I wanted to see if it was worth it or not before I pushed the idea. Think I will stick to local shopping. 15 days till we go, can't wait!
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:39 PM

The East Village is filled designer/owner and consignment shops for clothes that you will never see mass produced. Many are East 9th Between 2nd and A. Google it and see what you like.Here is a list I have posted a few times before and almost all are below 14th street. Unless otherwise stated it is inexpensive to moderately expensive.

Bagels-there are about six places that make bagels on First Ave between 12th Street and 20th Street. Our favorite remains Ess-A-Bagel. Tompkins Square is good but chances are 50-50 they will get your order wrong. BBQ-Mighty QuinnBrunches-City Bakery (18th off 5th), Clinton Street Bakery, weekend is a zoo), Esperanto Burgers- Brindle Room (on many top 10 nationwide lists. We have been going since it opened but the last time we went was not up to their standard, maybe a bad day.), Black Iron (also have wonderful onion rings), Paul’s (local divey spot), Corner Bistro (on everyone’s list, zoo on weekends)
Chinese Bao-The Baohaus-The guy with the TV show and book. A new place is fabulous called Drunken Dumpling. They make soup dumplings among a few other things on their limited menu including an oversized soup dumpling of which they only make 25 a day.

Chinese Dim Sum Chinatown-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn, Nom Wah on Doyers.

Chinese-Manhattan Chinatown-Big Wong, Joe’s Ginger, NY Noodletown

Chinese Szechuan-Hot Kitchen on 2nd Ave and Xian Famous on St Marks which is a local chain. Dessert-Veniero's, Chikalicious
Expensive but great prix fixe lunches-Gotham, Tocqueville (no longer have a year round prix fixe

Eastern European- Veselka,

French Bistro-Lucien (more expensive), the good cheaper ones have disappeared, Le Midi is reasonably priced
Greek-Pylos (little more expensive), Taverna Kyuclaides for fish Hip Filipino both owned by the same people Jeepney and Maharlikan (more expensive) Hot soup- Brodo-Sidewalk opening on First Ave as part of Hearth.
Ice Cream-Davey’s (Our current favorite), Cones on Bleecker, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundaes (East 10th), Grom (Italian chain), Van Leewen Indian-Haveli, Saravanaa Bhavan, Sahib (on Lex and about 26 St.) Italian, Inexpensive- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri) Great Value Italian, Medium priced-Cacio e Pepe, Gnocco, Supper (cash only), Luzzos (Wood burning pizza oven), Le Zie (7th Ave and about 19th)
Jewish Deli-2nd Ave Deli, the side dishes are superior to Katz’s. Katz’s is a zoo at all times now due to its celebrity. Lebanese-Au Za'atar which very reasonably priced French-Mideastern
Pizza whole pies-Motorino, Lombardi's, Gruppo, Ramen-Ippudo’s is always a zoo, Rai, Rai Ken

Serbian-Kafana on Ave C. Seafood-Mary’s-Fish Camp (cramped, no reservations, moderate), Luke’s Lobster (just lobster rolls, limited seating various locations) Aquagrill (very expensive)

Spanish tapas-Tia Pol, Café Mono (more expensive)Turkish-Turkish Kitchen (Very good values are the daily prix fixe lunch and Sunday buffet)

Venezulean- Patacon Pisao-, unbelievable chacapas

Vietnamese-Madame Vo, Sao Mai.
Old May 28th, 2019, 03:55 AM

Do not forget Century21 for good buys on name-brand clothing, shoes, and home goods. Also you could try TJMaxx, and even Zara/Massimo Dutti if you do not have those Indetex-brand shops in NZ.

I love bargain shopping and have lived in Manhattan for decades. Never had a desire to go to Woodbury Common due to the reasons stated, above.
Old May 29th, 2019, 05:20 AM

If you want to go to an outlet mall, I'd recommend Empire Outlets in Staten Island. You take a free ferry (take the 4 train to Bowling Green and walk a block south for the ferry), and it's a quick 20-minute trip; the mall is adjacent to the ferry terminal (secret bonus: There's a Dairy Queen in the ferry terminal ... American soft-serve, and one of my childhood favorites). Century 21 is also downtown, though a couple of stops north, closer to Fulton St. (though I don't personally recommend it because it's chaotic and very hit or miss, though you can find good deals in high-end designer clothing if you get lucky). Empire Outlets isn't nearly as big or as good as Woodbury Common (I totally disagree with everyone here about whether it's worthwhile to go there ... ask the hundreds of tourists who make this their one side-trip from NYC every day). But Empire Outlets will give you some good shopping, and you can easily do it in a half-day and not waste too much time.

Combine a quick trip to the outlet mall with the sights downtown. I highly recommend the Museum of Jewish Heritage, which has a sobering but amazing exhibit on Auschwitz right now.