travel from boston to new york

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:57 AM
annette

travel from boston to new york

am travelling from boston to new york on a sunday. which is the best mode of transport
greyhound bus or by rail for time, scenery, convenience, cost?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Leslie

I suggest you call Peter Pan Buslines and check the schedule -- Peter Pan and Greyhound buses leave practically every hour, however, some routes have a fare of $20 each way vs. $40 each way. The route is the same, its just that certain hours are less popular than others, so the price is less. Also, Peter Pan shows movies, while Greyhound does not. The bus is less expensive than the train, and there are fewer stops on the bus.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:48 AM
r-travels

I clipped something out of the "Metro" (free commuter paper) last time I was in Boston.

www.travelpackusa.com 617-338-8222

They advertise bus service between Boston & NY (Chinatown districts in both cities) for ranges of $10 to $25 each way. Don't know anything about them, but do recall reading article in Boston paper about proliferation of small bus companies with "express" service a few years ago. Anyone used this??

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Boss Tonn

the Travelpack service is run by a travel agency operating out of Chinatown. There are several bus services that sprung up over the past few years from travel agcies in chinatown. They have been offering prices much lower than Greyhound / Peter Pan, and have been kicking the big companies butts lately, snagging much of their business. in addition to Travel Pack is Fung Wah, I think there's another called something like Happy Travel...as well as a few others.

I've never taken one of these buses myself, but from what I've heard the buses can be smaller than the usual greyhound bus, and they travel from Boston's Chinatown to NYC's chinatown, rather than South Station to the Port Authority.

I've generally heard good things about this service, that it is swift, drivers friendly, schedules convenient, etc. However I've also heard that these buses are more likely to breakdown, and they blast music and/or movies broadcast in Chinese, which is no problem if you understand Chinese or have headphones!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Suzy

Your criteria are "time, scenery, convenience, cost". Well, for all but cost, I'd recommend Amtrak. It's quick, comfortable, leaves from South Station, Back Bay, and Route 128, and follows a very scenic route along the southern coast on its way to NYC.

Pricing depends on how many stops your train makes; the Acela Express is the most expensive, but the Acela Regional takes just a little longer and costs a lot less. Also, Amtrak offers specials like discounts for AAA members or for using your Master Card. There's a link on their site www.amtrak.com that explains all their specials.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:12 AM
gc

Regarding Boss Tonn's post.
I commute I84 between Sturbridge and Hartford daily, and frequently see the Chinatown minibusses (I assume that's what they are...they have chinese lettering on the side). Many I have seen drive recklessly, and more than once, I have seen them on the side of the road with a tow truck.
From this vantage point, I would not recommend them.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Suzy

Here's a story about the Chinatown buses. I'll stick with Amtrak for now.

http://www.nyc24.com/issue02/story02/page02.asp