Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travel and Politics (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travel-and-politics-484954/)

2sweets Nov 8th, 2004 08:17 AM

Travel and Politics

I,too, am one of those very disappointed about the recent election. Prior to the election, I did all I could-helped with the campaign, donated money, voted-but we still lost... (I am happy to report that I live in a very "blue" state and am thankful for that.)

So where does travel fit in?

Since the election, rather than get caught up in arguments and name calling, I've decided to put my money where my mouth is...yesterday, we cancelled our Xmas trip to Florida. I'm not going to spend a nickel in any "red" state that I don't have to (some family obligations and professional meetings may necessitate travel to these states).
All of my discretionary travel funds will be spent in "blue" states-luckily our favorite spots are NYC and Hawaii. This is the one small way I feel I can still express my opinion-I'm sure it won't be noticeable, but I'll feel better:-)

ahhnold Nov 8th, 2004 08:31 AM

Now that is dogmatic. Palm beach and Dade county were blue. Why not go there?

MikeT Nov 8th, 2004 08:32 AM

How exactly will the good, hard-working people in Florida know you have decided to "boycott" them because of their vote. Not showing up proves nothing.

Judyrem Nov 8th, 2004 08:37 AM

Too true Mike, that is just a piteous excuse not to visit a place. I went to France just as the Iraq war started...should I have penalized the good French business and shop owners for not agreeing with our foreign policy? Not in this lifetime!

snowrooster Nov 8th, 2004 08:37 AM

She said it would make her feel better and that is worth something.

Now how about you folks who want to talk politics have some guts and go to a politcal bb.

cinquanta Nov 8th, 2004 08:37 AM

2sweets
Try Europe they are about 75% Blue. No Bush supporters there except for Tony B.
Don't worry, be happy!

Jayne1973 Nov 8th, 2004 08:43 AM

Voting with your wallet always make sense, and your vote always counts -- if to no one else but you.

BAK Nov 8th, 2004 08:58 AM

Sorry for the vagueness of the following, but..

On the weekend a Troonto newspaper reprinted a column from a US newspapper where the writer explained how and why the blue states should join Canada.

He pointed out that the blue states eitehr touched Canada or were connected to other blue states that touched Canada, so the new country would be contiguous. Plus Hawaii is connected to blue water, which connects to Canada.

Since Fodor's visitors are computer users ... he pointed out the Microsoft, Apple, Hewlett PAckard and some other computer companies would then be Candadian. "America" got Dell.

And, from a tourism point of view, he said that all the new Canadians, and those from the earlier Canada, would have much of the Rocky Mountains, great Canadian cities like New York and Boston and Los Angeles, and, for warmth in the winter, southern California and Hawaii.

All in all, it was a funny article, involved a lot of thought, and, come to think of it, not such a bad idea.

Even John and his wife would be welcome here. (I'm in Toronto) there's a huge ketchup factor in Leamington, Ontario.

Just thought of this: He did not mention it, but Canada would then control all the best lobsters in the world, too. We could export some of these to the people in the red states (the new America) and gain international trade advantages.

BAK

NYJets Nov 8th, 2004 08:58 AM

Did you ever think that your dogmatic attitude is part of why you are unhappy with the election result?

I live in a "blue state" (obviously) but grew up in a "red state" and can say unequivocally that both sides are full of ignorance and intolerance but at least the "red" people aren't as hypocritical about it.

I didn't vote (yeah I know bad citizenship), but my fiancee voted "red" and pretty much has to conceal that fact from her co-workers and friends from wonderful, tolerant New York for fear of negative retribution.

Your attitude is shameful...instead of blaming "red states" why don't you look in a mirror and ask yourself why the majority of America disagrees with you. Maybe you're not as smart as you think you are, and you certainly aren't as "tolerant" as your side purports to be. How do you expect those to disagree with you to come over to your side by boycotting them? Ridiculous.

snowrooster Nov 8th, 2004 09:04 AM

NYJets - Nice game yesterday.

RenewedTravel Nov 8th, 2004 09:04 AM

LOL, Fodorites are apparently overwhelmimgly Republican, including a healthy smattering of evangelicans. You can join up with the 51% plus low iqs and enjoy 4 more of the simian. Here it's freaky every day, not just Fridays.

NYJets Nov 8th, 2004 09:07 AM

Indeed, saw it coming. Strong winds and Buffalo's stronger than advertised defense too much to overcome.

Henry's injury actually helped Buff....McGahee's simply a better player.

ahhnold Nov 8th, 2004 09:07 AM

Liberals are so bitter. Why just support the prez and make the best of it. Campaign for your best guy(or girl) in 2008 and get your way then. That is after all the American way.

Andrew Nov 8th, 2004 09:13 AM

2sweets, there are plenty of people in the red states who are upset at the election result as well. Why are you punishing them? Despite what you may have read, it it still turned out to be a very close election. Ohio decided it. Had only 70,000 Bush voters there voted for Kerry instead, Kerry would now be president-elect! Millions of others in Ohio and Florida supported Kerry. It seems a shame to punish them...

As for me (bringing this back to travel), I actually flew from Portland to Cincinnati the final weekend to volunteer for Kerry there. I found a cheap webfare, rented a car, used Priceline for hotels. You would be amazed at how many other "Kerry travelers" made the trek to Ohio just for the end of the campaign. I am guessing Bush had such people too.

Even though we lost, I met some amazing people in Cincinnati and had an experience I'll never forget.

Andrew

doc_ Nov 8th, 2004 09:13 AM

The owners of my beloved Red Sox(world champs) are overwhelmingly in Kerry corner. But hey, I'll still waste my money at any chance to go see them.

snowrooster Nov 8th, 2004 09:13 AM

Exactly, Ahhnold. Why? Did you mean "why not?" Freudian slip?

RenewedTravel Nov 8th, 2004 09:14 AM

arnold and the Simian, two peas in a pod, check out the ears and mangled language.

snowrooster Nov 8th, 2004 09:16 AM

doc - Owner of my Cincinnat Reds is one of Bush's biggest supporters, but I still go waste my money on them anyway too. :-)

Little_Man Nov 8th, 2004 09:18 AM

funny, someone here said liberals are so bitter, but I turned on Fox news this morning, and they are still calling Kerry the flip-flopper and wondering what "hole he's hiding under"...
I don't exactly call that being a gracious winner...

Suki Nov 8th, 2004 09:18 AM

NYJets, did you look yourself in the mirror in 2000 and ask yourself why the majority of Americans disagreed with YOU? Oh wait, even though your guy didn't win the most votes he still somehow gained the office. Stop calling the views of people who disagree with you shameful - you haven't cornered the market on morality yet depite all the conservative claims to the contrary.