Trapped on the plane waiting to take off, tell us your stories

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the stories about the Northwest Airlines passengers that were trapped on a number of planes in Detroit for up to 10 hours, after landing, without a working bathroom or food? It started all the talk about a passenger bill of rights. (Which went no where!)

Have you have any stories about being trapped on a plane, either before or after takeoff, due to weather of mechnical issues? How long were you trapped, did the flight crew keep you informed? Did the bathroom work? How long did the plane sit there?

I bet thee are some interesting stories out there!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:27 AM
JMM

Taking plane down south for a cruise:
1. Flight delayed about 1 hour due to weather
2. Then we get on the plane - 1st announcement - plane must be de-iced
3. Wait in line for de-icing - finally de-iced
4. taxi to runway - wait in line at runway
5. Just as we reach the front of the line - pilot announces airport authority has just closed the runway and we must taxi over to another runway
6. scenic tour of airport as we taxi to the other end to get to new runway - join new line - wait
7. pilot announces that we must be de-iced AGAIN due to long wait
8. get de-iced,wait some more and finally take off - elapsed time since boarding plane 3.0 hours. Thank god bathrooms worked - we were told to stay belted and only use washrooms if absolutely necessary.
The pilot did keep us informed and as soon as we took off free drinks were served. We made the cruise - we were the last group to board.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:29 AM
E

I was on a plane that sat on the runway (well, near the runway, but no longer at the gate) for so long, they showed "Mrs. Doubtfire" IN ITS ENTIRETY before takeoff. Lucky for me, I was exhausted and just slept through the delay. We finally took off after almost 3 hours. Oddly, I can't recall what the bathroom situation was--mercifully blacked it out, no doubt!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Got stuck at the gate and on the tarmac for two hours on a business trip to NY in the summer.

1.) No A/C for about 1 1/2 hours
2.) Baby in seat behind me had explosive diarrhea and mother decides to change dirty diaper
3.) Accident with diaper causes excrement to get onto seats
4.) Flight attendant summoned to help
5.) Person on same row as baby throws up due to stench/heat
6.) Causes chain reaction of several people on plane to vomit

By the time we got airborne, everyone was either nauseous or throwing up.

Whee
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Diana, What a delightful story. Never understood why a baby's diaper must be changed in the seating area. True, the bathrooms are quite small but it's gotta be better than in the seat.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Diana, so far only two other stories posted in addition to yours, but I predict yours will be the winner when all is done. I am nauseous just reading it.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Several years ago, on the taxiway at Washington National, 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, 45 minutes - all along a slight thumping sound coming from the front end as we move forward. A passenger a few rows away, asked the flight attendant for an explanation. A few minutes later the pilot comes on and says the noise is a related to a new tire and nothing to worry about. This passenger then yells, "I demand you have this plane checked out or I'll contact the FAA."

The pilot then comes on and says "due to passenger complaints, we will have mechanics look at the plane." We wait over an hour for a mechanic. Within 10 minutes we depart. Of course by now, we've been bumped to the back of the line and wait another 90 minutes to take-off.

What should have been an hour flight, turned into a 5 hour ordeal as we were then were stuck circling Newark for another hour.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM

trapped in the plane counts ?

2 years ago on my way to Europe: I had a connection in JFK, I was leaving from Pittsburgh.
We where stuck in the sky for almost 2 hours right in between NYC and Pittsburgh. The plane was just turning in the sky. They told us it was because of a storm over JFK.
When we finally landed we learned that it was because air force one was landing there and they had to clear the sky.

I whish they would tell passenger the truth

Needless to say: missed the connection.

Celine
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Thanks, guys, for the sympathy.
It is right up there at the top of my "travel horror stories" list.

In second place is the 400 lb. drunk who passed out and landed asleep in my lap on a Greyhound bus trip from TX to NC in the middle of the night. (No wonder there was no one sitting in that seat when I got on.)
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Thank you Diane, I love to read stories like yours while having lunch

We have been trapped on a plane twice.
Once in London, on the runway, taxied out and then just sat there. Two hours later, we rolled back to the airport thingee, sat 2 more hours, they gave us various reasons, we didn't believe any of them. Then we finally left, about 5 hours late, never getting off the plane
Second time was coming in from Jamaica. Bad weather, circling circling, it was hours and horrible and our ears were hurting and everyone was cranky and I never want to do that again.
But as far as I know-no one threw up and the babies diapers stayed dry.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:53 AM

WOW.

(And I thought my baby poop story was exciting.)
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I thought Diana's story would never be beat, but here's to Gordyloo gotta hand it to you.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:02 AM
GoTravel

Worst trapped plane story.

Put in a holding pattern over Richmond, Virginia en route to LGA. We circled Richmond for almost 2 hours because of horrible thunderstorms passing through New York City.

Great piliot! He kept us informed every 15 minutes or so.

Evindently the FAA no longer allows holding patterns over NYC airspace because of September 11th.

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:07 AM

OMG Gardyloo!!!

I would have walked home before I got on another Aeroflot plane!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Back in the early 1990s, when TWA was flying, a friend and I took off from Paris right on time on the way to Washington Dulles. About 3 hours into the flight they announced that we were going to stop in Gander NF (in Canada) because of an engine indicator light.

Anyway, once we landed in Gander, we sat next to the terminal for about 4 hours without letting anyone out. Every hour they announced that we would be leaving soon. Finally on the 5th hour we were unloaded into the very small and boring Gander terminal where we were told to wait for further info.

TWA did not have a ground staff in Gander and there was no one to talk to for additional info. Many of the people tryed to book another flight out, on another airline, but were unsucessful, due to a limited flights and costs. After waiting in the airport for about 4 hours, the flight crew came into the terminal. It was about 6pm. Two choices were given. Option one was to leave at about 2am, the expected time the repairs would be completed. Option two was to put everyone at a motel for the night and leave about 8 am the next day. Of course each option had a number of loud supporters and critics. People yelled and screamed for their choice. Finally they decided to put everyone at a hotel.

After a few hours of confusion we were given vouchers for a taxi and hotel and sent on our way. I arrived at, what at the time was a Holiday Inn, and had a fitfull night of sleep.

The next morning we were loaded on the plane at 8am and sat there for about four hours before we took off. We finally arrived at Washington Dulles about 24 hours later than scheduled.

For our trouble we were given a $50.00 TWA gift certificate. I suspect most people never used the silly gift certificate!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:27 AM
OliveOyl

=D> Garyloo wins! Gardyloo wins!! And I thought Diana was a shoo-in too. Diana, you are a darned good runner-up!

Lawsy betweeen Gardyloo and Diana, mine is truly just a big yawn! We spend 2.5 hrs on the tarmac in Dallas waiting for some part before we can depart for San Francisco. At one point they tell us they've found another plane, herd us all off, but then explicably, change their minds and send us all back on again. Liquor is free and more than a few are overserved, including my DH who fortunately just gets quietly silly! Nuttin' either funny or disgusting to report though, just a tiresome way to begin a vacation.

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 11:56 AM

OO that is what happened this past March in Jax. They were waiting for a fire extinguisher part and had a guy driving from Orlando with it!!! On 95 in the rain. First we sat in the waiting area at the gate, then we sat on the plane, then we got off and sat in the waiting area. 5 hours later we left Jax
No one threw up then either~
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:08 PM
GoTravel

Gardyloo, you win!

Bunch, do you actually think any of us believe you made that flight?

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 12:26 PM

In the summer, leaving O'Hare, trapped on the plane, no A/C, for 5 hours due to storm. However, we got free booze & food & made the best of it. What the hell else are ya gonna do?
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Mine is nowhere near as bad as some of the others posted here, but mine was about 10 years ago on PanAm from San Juan, Puerto Rico to JFK. The flight is normally 3 1/2 hours long. For about 3 hours of it, we had an extremely bumpy flight -it was something out of a horror movie - because of thunderstorms and hail all along the east coast. Due to the weather, we had to circle NYC (I knew SOMETHING was wrong when I was able to see the end of Long Island from my window seat!) and then after circling for about 2 hours we were forced to land because we were informed that we were running low on fuel!! (As if we were not already getting into crash position and praying to God at that point!) Thankfully we got to the airport, but I have never thought I would be so happy to get home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -