Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Transporting bike on plane (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/transporting-bike-on-plane-932228/)

susiebgood Apr 20th, 2012 05:19 PM

Transporting bike on plane

Best way to transport bike by plane from Boston--Madison, WI

Bill_H Apr 20th, 2012 05:38 PM

http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2010/3/...cies+for+Bikes

fmpden Apr 20th, 2012 06:38 PM

Very difficult. One time it was easy but no more. It is not a viable option anymore. Both articles are a little dated but generally accurate. The SWest policy has changed and is more like the other airlines.

An alternative would be to have a local bike shop box it for you and skip it via Fed Ex. I am guessing that cost would be around a $100 and much cheaper than the airplane.

About five years ago we shifted to Bike Friday which fit inside large suitcases just because of the airplanes surcharges and handling.

The other alternative, unless it is a great bike, is to sell it, add a $100 or so to your pot, and buy a new or used one in Madison. Good luck.

Gretchen Apr 21st, 2012 04:54 AM

DS brings his bike everywhere. He has a piece of luggage for it, as someone above mentioned. It is about 42" square--looks a bit like Samsonite-- and of course requires reassembling the bike. At prior times he has shipped it FedEx. He even took it to France.

nytraveler Apr 21st, 2012 05:32 AM

IMHO is is much easier just to rent a bike wherever you are going - unless it's a very high quality bike you use for racing or similar. In that case I wouldn't never trust it to the hold - but take it on the plane with you.

Obviously this won't be cheap but if it is really important this is the way to go (Naturally it must be disassembled and packed in a box.) I have been on a couple of flights with professional musicians and most seemed to bring their instruments on board with them - but bought them seats to avoid them being damaged by being squashed into the overhead bin - those that were small enough to fit. Yes, including a cello - but obviously not a piano.

Gretchen Apr 21st, 2012 06:10 AM

My son's bike is about the equivalence in price to a car--it is fine in the "hold". A cello I can understand and have seen.

historytraveler Apr 21st, 2012 06:53 AM

I've never seen anyone bring a bike onto the plane. Not sure it's even possible and for heavens sake why would you even want to? My son, a professional triathlete, has traveled extensively with his bike both here in the US and around the world. He has a carrying case/box he uses which is specially made for transport. It does have to be placed with over-sized items when checking in and picked up at like spot upon arrival. It can be expensive depending on airline.

fmpden Apr 21st, 2012 07:47 PM

Gretchen, we have four of those bikes. They go in the hold but drives the TSA nuts when they go through the X-ray. And that is when the damage occurs. I leave a note briefly and carefully describes how to close the case but about half time they either cannot read the note and get even for having to open the case by just slamming it shut. It is problem. So far the damage is always repairable.

Gretchen Apr 22nd, 2012 04:43 AM

It is what it is. DS has never commented on any problem or damage. You must be unlucky. Sorry.
TSA is basically an excuse for vandalism sometimes--like the time they opened (mind you, by cutting the D top off instead of unscrewing it) a raspberry sauce bottle and then returned it OPEN back in the bag. It was everywhere.

spirobulldog Apr 22nd, 2012 04:47 AM

I would never trust TSA with anything of much value.

spirobulldog Apr 22nd, 2012 04:50 AM

Just curious. Do you get insurance on a $15k bicycle like you would a motorcycle? Which brings the thought, lets try to fly with a motorcycle. lol

Gretchen Apr 22nd, 2012 05:31 AM

DS was driving to the mountains one time with his bike on the back of the car. He hit a slick or something, went into a skid and rearended the car--and bike!! I never asked the outcome of that one. It was a bit before he outgrew his upbringing so the bike might not have been quite so dear. BUT it was worth more than the car, as I recall!!

Barblab Apr 22nd, 2012 06:44 AM

We ship our bikes often via FedX and UPS. We get a bike box at a bike shop and pack ourselves using lots of bubble wrap and foam pipe wrap. Other than a few scratches we have had good luck.

nytraveler Apr 22nd, 2012 09:51 AM

ppose it depends on the value. I must admit I have no idea of the cost of a really upscale bike. But a can't imagine a professional musician trusting a $50,000 or even $100 K instrument to the TA and the baggage handlers.

fmpden Apr 22nd, 2012 02:05 PM

Unfortunately you cannot or at least we cannot insure our bikes with State Farm under our homeowners policy nor can we get a separate rider for the bikes. $15,000 is a little steep for a bike unless it was very unique. $3 to 5,000 is more common for a custom made bike. Some of the higher end racing bikes could go for more we are using touring bikes which are more reasonable. Our Bike Fridays solved a lot of problems.

susiebgood Apr 25th, 2012 06:32 PM

Thanks everyone for your insights; Her bike isn't THAT valuable , so will probably find one when she gets there...