Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   TRANSPORTATION IN GLACIER NP., NECESSARY TO HAVE A CAR? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/transportation-in-glacier-np-necessary-to-have-a-car-534064/)

VIEWONTHELAKE Jun 3rd, 2005 09:09 PM

TRANSPORTATION IN GLACIER NP., NECESSARY TO HAVE A CAR?

we have lodges booked from the south of the park to Waterton in the North. Should we rent a car or is there park transportation that would be easier? We are arriving from Calif. via Amtrak.

justme22 Jun 4th, 2005 02:34 AM

there is transportation (hiker shuttles) in glacier park but there isn't really a transport system outside the park so if your accomodations do not sit next to a restaurant, you could go hungry!

If you are at all lodges in the parks they will have restaurants for you. you should go to the park web site and look at the shuttle situation for when you are traveling.

I have never gone to the park without a rental car, i like to go places when i want to go.... not knowing when you are travelling, you should make sure you can even get a rental car. they might not have any. you should do this research asap.

bob_brown Jun 4th, 2005 08:03 AM

You either need a car or a good thumb for hitchhiking.

VIEWONTHELAKE Jun 5th, 2005 06:44 AM

thanks Bob and Justme22, I went right to the phone to secure a rental.We are staying at 5 of the lodges and love to take the scenic drives and do small hikes. Any must sees. I'm sure it is all awesome.

bob_brown Jun 5th, 2005 08:47 AM

In Glacier, a car provides what no other means transportation can offer: timeliness, convenience, and flexbility.

A lot of Glacier can be seen from the road, but the real jewels in the crown are available only to those who walk the trails.

The one I have never taken, and now I fear I am too old, is Crypt Lake in Waterton.

If you have a passport, take it. The US border officials are getting more difficult to live with it seems.

Soon a passport will be required for Canada - thanks to the Bush administratioin.

Hate to sound a political note, but we have not needed passports for Canada in my memory. Why now?

justme22 Jun 5th, 2005 03:12 PM

since you'll have a car, be sure not to miss red rocks parkway in waterton, lots of easy hikes there and in waterton. bears usually at the parkway somewhere. I believe that cameron lake is also near there and nice.

go into many glacier,you can do a hike that is fairly easy near the trail to iceberg lake. also consider taking the boat ride at two medicine. easy hike to beautiful water fall at the one end of the lake that the boat gets you to.

stop and take your time at logan pass, there is almost always a grizzly in the meadow behing the visitor center (hopefully far away from the center) do bring binoculars if you have them.

you will see mountain goats at the salt lick on route two. this is between two medicine and the western enterance.

take the time to watch the sun go down over lake macdonald...

glacier is a wonderful place.