Transportation from Portland Maine to Acadia National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Acadia National Park after labor day, but I won't have access to a car. Flights to Portland are much cheaper than flights to Bangor, but not finding much information on how to get to Acadia or Bar Harbor from Portland w/o a car. Anyone done this before?

Also, any preferences for Seawall vs. Blackwoods for camping?
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Check this URL:

http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisi...sportation.htm
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM

There is not one carrier which provides transportation from Portland to Bar Harbor. You will really need to do your homework thoroughly to piece this together. As stated on the web site referenced in the previous post, Portland to Bangor bus service is readily available. That site also says Vermont Transit offers service from Bangor to Bar Harbor in the summer, but I couldn't find any information on it, let alone for after Labor Day. There might be a private shuttle or commuter vans for this leg of the trip. Once on the island (Mt. Desert, where Bar Harbor and a large part of Acadia are located)you will be able to take the Island Explorer bus to get around. Their schedules change on Sept. 1, so you should examine their web site carefully to make sure you can get where you want to go. The Island Explore schedule to Blackwoods is much better after Sept. 1 than it is for Seawall (the Southwest Harbor route) and for that reason, you should probably stay at Blackwoods.

To summarize, there are four sections of this trip that you need to consider:

Portland to Bangor
Bangor to Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor to Blackwoods Campground
Getting around while you are there

Is renting a car a possibility?
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Appreciate the guidance - thanks! I've lived in NYC the last 10 years and haven't driven since I've been here, so my comfort level with driving is pretty weak - plus out of budget, so will have to rely on the shuttle. Hoping given post labor day that backwoods won't be as crowded as I've heard it can get.

Thanks again for the thoughtful advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Vermont Transit has been subsumed by Greyhound, and it appears there is no bus of this type that runs from Bangor to Bar Harbor anymore.

It looks like this local bus service may provide limited transportation to Bar Harbor from various Maine towns:

http://www.downeasttrans.org/commuteBarHarbor.htm

and if you can get to the Bangor airport, there are probably limo shuttles of some sort.

Once you're in Bar Harbor, there are buses that travel through Acadia National Park in particular and Mt. Desert Island in general:

http://www.exploreacadia.com/
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 04:14 AM

I just looked at the web sites again for Downeast Trans. and the Island Explorer. Connections will be very difficult since the shuttle between Bangor and Bar Harbor makes only one trip each way on Monday and Friday. Also, there isn't an Island Explorer bus that would get you from the campground to Bar Harbor in time for the 8:00 a.m.departure to Bangor.

I'm not trying to be discouraging! Acadia is a beautiful place and I hope you get there. Unfortunately, the systems are not in place for easy access via public transportation.

Also, it may be helpful for you to know that there are two bus stations in Portland. The one for Greyhound is "in town" on Congress street, and the one for Concord Trailways is at the Portland Transportation Center near the airport. I'm assuming CT to Bangor would be more convenient for you since you said you are flying to Portland.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 05:24 AM

I'm sorry that our bus service isn't better. Can you use credit card points for the car? It really might be the best bet all around. Also, definitely don't stay at Sewall. It is nice, but too far out of the mainstream - with or without a car. After Labor Day all campgrounds will be more relaxed. Our favorite is Mount Desert Campground (www.mountdesertcampground.com) It is beautiful, on the water at the head of Somes Sound, and centrally located. The Island Explorer shuttle stops there regularly, too.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Re: Mt. Desert Campground. Just be aware that as of Sept. 1 the Island Explorer Bus that stops there has just 4 runs per day, compared to hourly service in the summer.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - a car is not an option as my driving skills are too rusty from living in NYC w/o a car for 10 years. I'll do my best to rely on the public transportation options. Think I'll fly into Bangor and either take the bus if I can coordinate my travel dates or most likely the shuttle.