Transportation from LGA into Manhattan

Nov 28th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Transportation from LGA into Manhattan

What's the best option for getting 5 people from LGA to midtown Manhattan, and back to LGA? My sister suggested having a car pick us up, but with 5 of us we'd have to get a mini-van or shuttle van. It looks like w/ fare, gratuities, etc that could run upwards of $75 each way. How hard is it to manuver the bus and/or subway (with minimal luggage)? Thanks for any info.
Nov 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Where is your destination in Manhattan?
It would take 2 cabs to transport 5 of you to Manhattan. In my experience, you can expect to spend between $35-$45/cab, depending on your destination.
My recommendation is a private express bus that you can take that costs about $10-$15 for a one-way ticket. This bus stops at Grand Central, Penn Station, and I believe at certain hotels in Midtown. The various stops are noted outside each terminal at LGA.
There isn't a subway that takes you directly to LGA. There is the option of taking the public bus to Manhattan (M60), and then transferring to the subway at one of the stops on 125th street. Many subway lines (1,A,B,C,D,2,3,4,5,6) have a stop at 125th street. It's not difficult to figure out how to use the public transportation system, but be prepared for a long trip. You can find the subway and bus maps at the following website:
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM

The shuttle bus that lizziea06 writes of is at
http://www.nyairportservice.com
and the r/t fare is $21 per person
or $12 one way. It's my preferred route between LGA and Manhattan, but I have taken the M60 bus several times too, which isn't too bad mid-days.
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I live in uptown Manhattan (west side) and the $35-$45 for a cab from LGA seems a bit high. My experience has been more like $25-$30 (including bridge/tunnel toll and tip). Get 2 cabs would be my advice. Ultimately at $12 a head, the bus service is a bit cheaper...but then you still have to travel to your destination.
Nov 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM

From LGA public transport is really quite inconvenient. It requires a change from bus to subway or another bus - with stairs and possibly corridors. and these are regular commuter lines with no room for luggage except on your lap (if you get a seat) or between your legs if you have to stand.

For the upper east or west side 2 cabs would probably cost about the same as the shuttle - to midtown the shuttle will be slightly less - but quite a bit slower.

So it depends on if you value your time more than a few $.

Nov 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Just did the opposite trip this am. Took Carmel Limo (212-666-6666) from UWS to LGA for a flat fee of $31 plus toll ($4.50) & tip. The advantage of the flat fee is that if you're stuck in traffic, you're not sitting there watching the meter go up & up. The same fee is charged no matter how long the trip actually takes.

They did ask me when I booked if I needed a mini van for luggage. I don't know if they would take 5 people in a mini van, but it's worth asking. I think if you have them pick you up at LGA, you call them when you land and arrange for a place to meet. I can't imagine that the additional charge for a bigger car would cost $75.
Nov 28th, 2005, 11:12 AM

There are some minivan taxis at the airport. You might have to wait for one, but that's an option in 1 direction.

Crown limo were charging substantially less for a stretch limo (that would seat up to 6 plus luggage) than the usual low price options of Carmel or Tel Aviv who would use a minivan. Don't know if that's still the case but you could check. Crown's URL is

1800mycrown.com
Nov 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM

BTW, going to midtown, you can take the 59th st bridge with NO toll. Cabbies don't tend to like it, but sometimes it's actually faster.
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, looks like there are several different options there, most of them about the same price. BTW we are staying about a block off of Rockefeller Center on West 49th. I'll check out the price of the limo vs mini van taxi vs shuttle and let you know what I come up with. Thanks all.