Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Dulles to Old Town Alexandria

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Ev

My family and I (4 of us all together) will arrive Dulles at 3:30 pm on a weekday. Our hotel is in Old Town Alexandria (we got a great deal flying into Dulles). Any suggestions as to what method of transportation is best from Dulles Airport to Old Town Alexandria and back?

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:36 PM

CHEAPEST: (only good if you're not carrying a lot of luggage, eg: 1 piece each, maybe 6pc/4persons) Take the #5A Metrobus (Sign on busquot;5A L'ENFANT PLAZA") from Curb 2E at 3:40pm (or 4:40pm) to Rosslyn Metro Station (cost $2 - time ~40 min) then board a Metro (train) Blue Line (towards FRANCONIA-Springfield) to the King St Metro Station (cost $1.85 - time ~ 17 min).

Maybe take cab from there... which hotel?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM

A BIT MORE: Take Washington Flyer (see http://www.washfly.com/faqs.htm ) from Dulles to West Falls Church Metro Station ($8 1-way, $14 r/t, discounts for 3+ traveling together, time ~22 minutes) then take Metro train (Orange Line - New Carrollton) to Rosslyn Station (~15 minutes) , transfer to Blue Line (as above) to King St Metro Station (~17 minutes) - Metrorail fare will be $2.70

Consider buying All day Metro cards for $5 instead of paying individual fare, especially if u will be going into DC later that night.

If your hotel has free shuttle from Reagan National Airport, get off the Blue Line there (before King St) and use their shuttle to get you to hotel.

Check http://rideguide.wmata.com for Metro (rail & bus) directions, times, and costs.

BTW - I see people selling partially used Metro passes on EBay well below cost, I've never done that, just passing it on. Have a good stay!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Ev

Great! Thanks for the info. We'll be staying at the Hampton Inn on King Street. I understand there's a metro close by. Am looking forward to this trip - 1st time visiting DC.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Yes, you should be able to walk to the Hampton Inn in less than 5 minutes from the King Street Metro station. In Alexandria is the "DASH" bus service. There is a bus that runs up and down King Street on weekends for free, and there's convenient daily (pay) service as well - find more info at http://www.dashbus.com . We easily walked down to the river from the Embassy Suites, also nearby. It's a beautiful stroll with a lot of old shops to window-shop in even if you're not going inside.

If you're going to be in DC area for more than a couple of days, consider purchasing a 7-Day Short Trip Pass for $17.50 - Valid for seven consecutive days for Metrorail trips costing up to $1.75 between 5:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. on weekdays. Pass is valid for ANY rail trip at OTHER times. If a trip costs more than $1.75, you must use the Exitfare machine to pay additional fare. DC is a GREAT place to visit - please enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Ev

Thanks again! You've given me a wealth of information. I only wish I could stay at the Embassy Suites. I've read a lot about the hotel. It's just a little pricey though. I'm staying at the Hampton for $120.60 a night.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Ev

Any idea what it would cost taking a cab?

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:18 PM

It can run about $50-60 with tip.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:50 PM

I went from Dulles to the Old Town Hilton in Alexandria a few weeks ago. The Washington Flyer will take you right to many of the hotels in Alexandria. One of my friends who is in DC more than me took the Metro most of the way, but I am not familiar enough with the Metro to make the right connections.

Of course, if there are four of you one cab fare might be comparable to four tickets on the Washington Flyer.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I emailed Supershuttle & inquired about rates between IAD & DCA. Reply was:

<<-start copied text->>
DCA to IAD - $21.00 for the first person and $10.00 for each additional person. (Travel time: 1 hour +)
the fare would be the same each way. thanks for the inquiry, Melissa
Supershuttle 1-800-28-3826
no advanced reservations are made for that service.
<<-end copied text->>
I assume a bit more for Alexandria?

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Ev

Bless your heart rb_traveler. You folks are the best. Thanks again for all your help!

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM

You are certainly welcome. However, my advice is not free.

Please post to these boards when you get back. Tell us about the transportation, your hotel, and fun things you did. Tell us what you liked and disliked. Deal?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Ev

YOU GOT IT!!