Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Transport Options from LAX to Santa Monica or Century City? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/transport-options-from-lax-to-santa-monica-or-century-city-322796/)

elnap29 Mar 13th, 2008 03:26 PM

Transport Options from LAX to Santa Monica or Century City?

Does anyone have recent experiences with ground transportation out of LAX? We only need transport from LAX to the hotel (either Santa Monica-Ocean Blvd area OR Century City area).

I am taking my 85 yr-old mother to visit my daughter, who has to work late that day. We do not need to rent a car and only need transport one way. Is there a shuttle of some sort? Cost? Taxi only? Cost?
I've tried the LAX website, but haven't located clear info.
Help, anyone?
Thanks!

TrvlMaven Mar 13th, 2008 06:53 PM

It's not that far from LAX to Santa Monica (a bit further to Century City)--given that you are traveling with your 85-year-old mother--I'd spring for a cab. They will be plentiful on the second curb.

cat111719 Mar 13th, 2008 06:58 PM

Second the motion for a taxi.

MBnancy Mar 13th, 2008 07:00 PM

Taxi cost won't be more than $30, depending how far you are traveling into SM.

dmlove Mar 13th, 2008 07:37 PM

I once took the SuperShuttle from LAX to one of the beach hotels in Santa Monica and vowed to never again take a shuttle. It took 1:15 (dropping off other people at other hotels), whereas a taxi will take about a half hour.

dawnnoelm Mar 13th, 2008 07:40 PM

I too took a super shuttle one time. One time was all it took years ago in San Diego. Never again.

With your 85 year old Mom - I might spring for a limo ;-)

elnap29 Mar 14th, 2008 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had been thinking 'shuttle' - so I guess the taxi does make more sense. Do you have to prebook a cab or do they troll the airport frequently for customers?

dmlove Mar 14th, 2008 05:09 PM

If it's like NY or San Francisco, you go straight out from the terminal to a taxi stand, and wait in line for a cab. They have to line up in turn (can't just circle/troll).

lvk Mar 14th, 2008 05:10 PM

You just wait in the line designated for taxis when you come out of the terminal. If there is not already a line of taxis there, an attendant will call one. These lines can be very long if there are several flights arriving at the same time.

Honestly, though, you might consider a Towncar ride for you and your Mom, instead of a taxi. For Santa Monica or Century City, it should be around $50 and well worth it. Here is an example of one company's rates:

www.laxshuttlelimo.com/services.htm

You would have to pre-book, but at least your cost is a fixed, known quantity and you won't have to worry about costs going up if you hit a traffic problem. Besides, haven't you always wanted to see your name on a piece of cardboard held by a guy in a suit? :)

I've had mostly decent experiences getting taxis from LAX, except for this past Jan., when we got the death-trap from hell! We actually reported the guy to the taxi commission.

easytraveler Mar 14th, 2008 06:29 PM

There's also a frequent shuttle that goes between UCLA and LAX. I don't know how often it runs or what its route is, but UCLA is pretty close to Santa Monica and your daughter could come and pick you up at one of the stops.

Just a thought.

elnap29 Mar 15th, 2008 06:07 PM

Thanks for that idea (shuttle to UCLA). However, won't work this trip - daughter has to work late that day and we arrive around noon (my mistake in booking the flight). Has anyone actually used the LAX Shuttle Limo Service Company(towncar)? That probably would be easiest for my mom.