Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Transport Boston - JFK (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/transport-boston-jfk-423285/)

Kay2 Apr 17th, 2004 09:04 AM

Transport Boston - JFK

My college student niece needs to get one-way from Boston to JFK on a Tuesday afternoon in May. She'll have a rollaboard and daypack or similar as luggage. She tells her mother she'll find a ride, but her mother would rather know public paid transportion options. Am I missing anything?

1. Air - shuttle BOS-JFK (currently $237, ever on sale?)

2. Train - Amtrak Boston to Penn Station ($60), then LIRR ($5) to Jamaica to Airtrain ($5).

3. Bus - Greyhound from South Station to NYC Port Authority ($30). Then Airport Shuttle Bus ($13) or subway to Airtrain ($7).
Or a Chinatown or similar bus from Boston to NYC ($10-15)(do they allow luggage?), then the subway or New York Airport Shuttle Bus from Manhattan to JFK.
Is one of the bus services from Boston to NYC better? Would one drop off in a better location for someone catching a bus or subway to JFK?

The prices I've listed were just ballpark, knowing there could be specials and discounts to consider.

rkkwan Apr 17th, 2004 10:29 AM

Another option is BOS-LGA shuttle, which is about $165 R/T. Just throw away the return if you don't need it. Shuttle bus or taxi to JFK, and it's still cheaper than BOS-JFK.

Plus, you get half-hourly service on USAir Shuttle (:00) or Delta Shuttle (:30).

rkkwan Apr 17th, 2004 10:30 AM

Well, I mean :00 on USAir, :30 on Delta.

traveler24 Apr 17th, 2004 10:34 AM

I did # 2 --worked for me- -senior female-alone with one "wheeled" bag.
Friend friend (in her 20s ) tried the Chinatown method thought it was "cool"
If $$$ were not an issue!!!- the shuttle is best and far less hassle....

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 17th, 2004 10:51 AM

Kay2,

This would be the best option IMHO.

<b>www.limoliner.com</b>

Great service. Comfortable reclining leather seats with power ports and free high speed internet access. Guaranteed no-drop signals for your cellphone. A new release movie on evry trip or a 2 channel satelite TV or 5 music channels. Complimentry snacks and beverages served by an attendent. A very clean bathroom. Total luxury, traveling in style, and the best part is it's only $69 one-way.
She would still have to get from the Hilton New York(the drop-off point) to JFK. The trip takes 4 hours.

QC Apr 17th, 2004 12:29 PM

Well, the Limoliner looks great, except for the fact that it is subject to traffic just like any other bus. Traffic can be very, very intense in I-95. If you ARE gonna be stuck, be stuck in style!

If money is not an issue, then I think the BOS-JFK flight is the best bet.

Amtrak to Penn Station to Subway to Airtrain is without a doubt the best and easiest transfer- at every stage of the game there will be an indoor transfer connection. I would do this without hesitation.

Chinatown buses have been under investigation lately for ties to organized crime and lack of driver training and insurance. Lots of people use them with no problem, but I wouldn't .

Transfering from LGA to JFK can be expensive and a traffic nightmare in the wrong conditions. If she has some time and cash, it still could be a good bet.

ParrotMom Apr 17th, 2004 12:51 PM

My friend just went the &quot;chinatown bus&quot; way, from D.C. to NYC...to NYC to Boston and today back to NYC from Boston.. .. thought the experience was great..

rb_travelerxATyahoo Apr 17th, 2004 01:04 PM

Or to cut costs more, but have reliability of rail - take Amtrak to New Haven, then transfer to MetroNorth CommuterRail (similar to MBTA Rail). MN will get her to Grand Central, where she can take the NYAirport Service Shuttle, or look at other rail options.

rkkwan Apr 17th, 2004 02:21 PM

There are still other ways to get there. Connecticut Limo has coach service from various points in CT - as far as Hartford to JFK. But they are quite expensive, and not particularly quick. Good thing is that you avoid a transfer in, or near, NYC.

bluestructure Apr 18th, 2004 03:41 AM

Boston south station to NY port authority terminal is 30.00 bucks one way on bonanza bus. check their website for daily schedules. www.bonanzabus.com

Kay2 Jun 9th, 2004 07:35 AM

Well, I recommended she take the Amtrak-LIRR-Airtrain combo, but being 21 she chose her own route. She took one of the Chinatown buses (glad she was early and I think had a reservation as there were more people than seats) to Manhattan, then subway, then Airtrain. The subway took longer than she expected, so she arrived just on time. She found it easy for a young person with one rollaboard suitcase and would do it again.