Transporation from MDW to Michigan Ave?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any information on the best way to get to Chicago Michigan Ave from Mid-Way would be greatly appreciated! Cheapest? Taxi? Thank you!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM

The El (Chicago's subway) is easy and cheap (and you get to bypass all the traffic).
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Would we pick that upright at midway? I saw where it goes to the loop. Would we just take a cab from the loop? Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 08:21 AM

Will you have luggage? Where are you going on Michigan Avenue? Yes, you pick up the El right at Midway, but it is a pretty long walk to the train.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, sf7307 we will probably each have a carry on. My friend and I are actually staying at the Sheraton Towers one night and then the Sofitel(off Michiagan Ave on Chestnut)for two nights. We both enjoy walking as long as it's under three miles ;-) Maybe we should just take a cab?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

I've flown in to Chicago Midway several times and always take a taxi to the Michigan Ave. area. My last trip was last year and I believe it was around $30.00 for the taxi, which is always my preference
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM

Last time I was there we flew into Midway and were staying at the Marriott on Michigan Avenue. We both just had a shoulder bag. We took the El and then walked to the hotel. In a city like Chicago where traffic can be a nightmare, I'd rather take the train.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM

I just follow the signs to the El. It's not that long a walk. Lots of people are on the train with suitcases--and they'll be walking down Michigan Ave. with their bags. For $2 you can't beat the price. You will see the machines that dispense the tickets. You can also purchase a visitors pass there that is good for all the trains and buses.

I am not really sure where the Sheraton is. The Sofitel is a walk down Michigan Ave, but I enjoy that walk. I have stayed at the Sofitel. It is a really lovely hotel.

I head to Chicago tomorrow morning. I love flying to Chicago from Ohio--I fly out at 9:30am and arrive at 9:40am (gain an hour)
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LindainOhio (and sf7307 for your many posts, help)My friend and I arrive around noon so we won't be in any hurry. I think it will be a very nice experience if we take the El. I will never forget a trip I took with my daughters one year. We went to NYC, second trip. It was Valentines Day. The taxi driver took us on a wild goose chase across the East side (through Central Park) to the West side of upper Manhatten. We were staying at the Plaza, and he dropped us off about four blocks from the hotel because of traffic. I was not a very seasoned NYC traveler at the time. I was like "Oh, okay" We all got out, luggage and all, and I tipped him generously! We walked with our luggage down the street, up to the Plaza, where I told the doorman our story. He said "Well, I hope you didn't tip him!" I told him that I had and quite generously. He said you are not supposed to tip a taxi driver if he makes you get out in a location that you didn't request. When I look back, I'm amazed I was that ignorant. Anyway, life is an experience. I'm looking forward to this Friday!
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM

At Midway, follow the signs through the terminal that say "CTA Trains to city." If you'll be relying on public transit while you're here, you should consider visitor passes. You can buy a 3-day pass from the vending machine at the station for $14. Passes allow unlimited rides on all CTA trains and buses. The single cash fare is $2.25.

You have a couple options. You can transfer from the Orange Line at Roosevelt to the Red Line toward Howard. Exit the Red Line at Grand Avenue and take the Number 65 (Grand Ave) bus eastbound to Columbus Drive. The Sheraton is about a block south.

Option two is to take the Orange Line to Library. Cross State Street and catch the Number 29 bus (State St) bus northbound. It will also stop at Grand & Columbus.

To reach the Sofitel, you can take the Number 65 bus back to the Red Line toward Howard. Exit at Chicago Avenue and walk 3 blocks north on State. You could also catch the number 151 bus northbound on Michigan Avenue and take it to Delaware, just north of the Hancock Building.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
mma

Last year we went from Midway to the Westin on Michigan Ave. with rollaboard suitcases using the El. We followed the advice we were given on this forum and it worked out fine. I would do it again that way. Have fun!