Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Transfering from T4 to T3 at JF Kennedy Airport
Notices

Transfering from T4 to T3 at JF Kennedy Airport

Dec 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Transfering from T4 to T3 at JF Kennedy Airport

I have an option of either transfering from T8 to T7 (CX / AA) or T4 to T3 (EK / DL). I will be travelling with 3 young children and alot of luggage. Any opinions on which transfer will be better taking into account conditions of terminal, traffic and airline alliances? Thanks
Dec 5th, 2011, 03:01 AM
J62

EK (T4) to DL (T3)will be an easy transfer. Your bags should tagged all the way to your final DL destination so all you will have to do is drop them off right outside customs.

Handling the luggage will be similar for either itinerary.

You should check-in online with DL before you leave home, so all you'd need to do would be to take the free JFK AirTrain 1 stop from T4 to T3.

If you are NOT a US citizen, then lines for immigration can be long at both T7 and T4 depending on the timing and what other incoming flights arrive around the same time.
Dec 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM

The transfer between the terminals is very fast, though you may have a long walk to get on the Airtrain. But I'd allow 15 minutes total. Then you have to go through security again, and that can take up to 20 or 30 minutes on a very busy day. Just be sure you are on the Aitrain going in the correct location. There are trains running in both directions, so if you don't take the right now, you'll have to ride all the way around instead of just one stop.

The amount of luggage you have is probably irrelevant. Most airlines have interline baggage agreements, so you just drop your bags off as you exit customs. There will be a check-in desk in each terminal. That can take some time if you have to get a new boarding pass, but chances are you will not.

To be honest, though, I think you'll be better on Cathay and American. They are both OneWorld partners, and the transfer is seamless even though they are in different terminals. I don't think Emirates and Delta are in the same air alliance, so you might have more problems checking in and getting all your boarding passes. Check on that.

Search this Thread