Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Transfer LAX Domestic to International (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/transfer-lax-domestic-to-international-1092980/)

cinnstix Apr 6th, 2016 05:56 PM

Transfer LAX Domestic to International

I'm looking for opinions on timing. I have a flight leaving DTW to LAX and arriving 10:16pm at Terminal 3. Terminal 3 is right next to the Tom Brady International Terminal. My flight from LAX to NAN leaves at 11:30pm, giving me approx 1hr and 15min of time. I estimated 10min for unload (10:26pm) then I will most likely run to the international terminal, 7 min? (10:33pm). Let's assume the TSA is long, 40min (11:13pm). Then walk (run) to Gate, 3min (11:16pm). Opinions? I have not been to the LAX airport before, the terminals do not look that far apart, and I am not afraid to run through an airport to save myself some time.

Dukey1 Apr 6th, 2016 06:29 PM

The two terminals are easily walked between. The issues will be your arrival flight's timing as well as at which gate it arrives and from which gate your departing flight departs.

janisj Apr 6th, 2016 06:29 PM

Not likely. Sorry. These are obviously un-linked flights (separate tickets). Unless you are flying business/first I don't think it is possible. Your flight departs at 11:30, but it will close before that. Do you have luggage? Most of the airlines in T-3 don't have interline agreements w/ the international carriers. LAX can be a zoo. I haven't been in Tom Bradley recently (thank heavens) -except for two AA international flights that gated at TB instead of T-4. So I don't know if all the departure level construction has wrapped up.

But I would not book a domestic to international at LAX w/ less then 3 hours.

janisj Apr 6th, 2016 06:31 PM

meant to say it is <i>possible</i> but isn't likely. Waiting for arrival gates is pretty common at LAX.

Jean Apr 6th, 2016 09:32 PM

I also don't think your chances are good.

Several issues:

Unless your arriving flight is early, deplaning will not start precisely at 10:16. If the pilot has to wait for a gate or there's a problem lining up the jetway, the minutes tick by. Even if it's on time, unless you're sitting in the first couple of rows, you may not get off the plane in 10 minutes.

The terminals are close together, but your arriving flight could be a long walk to the terminal exit and your departing flight could be a long distance from the security screening area.

Security screening at Bradley is fairly efficient but still time-consuming unless you're flying in an upper class with a priority line. TSA Pre-check doesn't help much as so many travelers are enrolled now.

All airlines deny boarding at some point before departure, some at 20 minutes prior but some earlier than that.

Dukey1 Apr 7th, 2016 12:51 AM

So, now that you've been told it isn't likely and you decided NOT to change flights, what is the point of continuing this discussion?

because it IS going to happen so stop worrying about it.

jamie99 Apr 7th, 2016 11:23 AM

Also your arrival time means that is when the wheels are supposed to touch down, not when you arrive at the gate to deplane. There is often a wait to taxi to the gate, sometimes there is a wait for a gate (once watched the last half of the movie while waiting for a gate), etc. I would change the flight even if I had to pay extra.

MichelleY Apr 7th, 2016 02:08 PM

We had to do this rushing at LAX when we came home from Loreto Mexico. We then had to catch the last flight of the day on SW to home. Everything was fine until they changed the flight times. We had carry ons and it worked out. But if I could have changed the times, I would have. Don't stress yourself and get an earlier flight.

cinnstix Apr 7th, 2016 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the responses, I already changed flights :]

janisj Apr 7th, 2016 02:37 PM

Dukey can advise you to quit worrying . . . But if you miss the connection you will not have a flight out. You will be stuck in LA and will need to buy a full fare, walk up ticket to fly to NAN

Can you afford that? If so, no big deal and don't worry ;)

Otherwise, you need more than an hour at LAX . Now, is it 100% you won't make . . . No. You might. But the odds are definitely against you. Change your flight and arrive at LAX at least 3 hours in advance, and more would be better.

MichelleY Apr 7th, 2016 09:05 PM

Yay! Have a great trip!

janisj Apr 7th, 2016 11:02 PM

Oh -- great that you changed your flight (we were posting at the same time and I didn't see your post)