Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Train travel in the U.S. northeast (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/train-travel-in-the-u-s-northeast-808528/)

seniortraveler Oct 1st, 2009 10:50 AM

Train travel in the U.S. northeast

My husband and I will arrive in Philadelphia on Tuesday, Oct 6 about 1:45 p.m. at the airport. We are considering taking the train on up to Boston.

---How far is the airport from the train station in Philadelphia? We would need to take a taxi.
---Has anyone taken this trip recently and on which train? Are reservations needed on the train?
---Then we plan to take the train in a few days over to Albany? Is the train station in the city? We will plan to rent a car there to drive up into the mountains to see fall foliage.

Thanks for your help!

MikeT Oct 1st, 2009 10:59 AM

There is a train from the airport to 30th Street Station (Amtrak)

http://www.septa.com/service/sched/pdfs/R1Airport.pdf

You could also take a taxi. It isn't very far and the fee is a flat rate of $25, plus tip.

There are plenty of trains between Philadelphia and Boston, all going through NYC. At least two an hour. You will have the choice of a regular train, or an ACELA. ACELA is a little faster, makes fewer stops, and is more expensive. Both are all-reserved, which means you are guaranteed a seat, just not a specific seat. It's about a four hour train ride, I think.

EmilyC Oct 1st, 2009 11:04 AM

At the Philly airport, there is a train stop just outside of the terminals B,C. The train goes into the city and I believe that it's every 30 or 40 minutes. This train would take you into the Amtrak station where you would then board a train to Boston. Alternatively, a taxi into the city to the train station would be around $35.

You can take the Acela or the regional train to Boston . Acela costs more and really does not save you very much time. The regional train would be around $140.00. The trip would be around 6 hours. If you are travelling during peak time, I would recommend a reservation.

china_cat Oct 1st, 2009 11:13 AM

There is just one Amtrak a day that goes due west from Boston towards Albany. It's the Lakeshore Limited, which goes all the way to Chicago. I took it once, a year ago, just the leg from Pittsfield MA to Boston, so I don't know where it stops in Albany. I believe it would be possible to get a rental car from Enterprise at one of the smaller stops, such as Pittsfield...Enterprise picks you up at the station and takes you to their office to get the car. This could save you driving in and out of the city. You could visit the Berkshires or Vermont easily from there. The train was remarkably cheap, I think it was just $10.

The other trains between Boston and Albany go down into New York City again, and back north, which takes along time. I'm pretty sure the only direct train is the Lakeshore.

china_cat Oct 1st, 2009 11:56 AM

although, in thinking about it a bit more, you might just want to rent a car in Boston. You can easily drive from there up into the White Mountains if its foliage you want to see. New Hampshire is much closer than the Adirondacks, and its a straight shot out of the city. No need to bother with schlepping your bags on another train. I do think you should consider making some accomodation reservations for foliage areas though. If you are thinking of Vermont or New Hampshire around Columbus day, things will be very booked up.

nytraveler Oct 1st, 2009 01:19 PM

Agree that taking a train to Alban makes lieelt sense - since much of what you'll want to see is probably closer to Boston that early in the fall foliage season. No sense in sitting on a train for 6 hours, then renting a car and backtracking.

Vttraveler Oct 1st, 2009 01:47 PM

There is also one Amtrak train a day from Philly to St. Albans Vt you might want to consider instead of the route to Boston first, then Albany. (The Vermonter). I think foliage in the Adirondacks may be past peak by the time you were thinking of getting to that area.

ellenem Oct 1st, 2009 02:18 PM

While I think the train from Boston to Albany is not the best idea, here's the answer to one of the OP's questions. The "Albany" Amtrak station is actually called "Albany-Rennselaer" and is across the Hudson River from the actual city of Albany.