Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Train, taxi or car service from Newark to tip of Manhattan?

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Am getting contradicting advice from friends. What's best ($$, convenience and time wise) for a family of 4 from the Newark airport to the Embassy Suites near Battery Park? Can handle own luggage fine - most of it rolls. Arriving 2pm on Friday afternoon and leaving 4pm the next Saturday. Have seen lots of posts about mid and uptown destinations but none closer to where we will be staying.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:31 PM

It is about 12 per person on the train, 48 for the group.. That will take you swiftly to Penn Station from there you can catch a train to battery park, $2 a piece that is another $8. Or you can hop a cab for the same or a bit more.

Hop a cab, go directly to your destination, $60 bucks tops. There is a link at newark airport website so that you can figure out the details for yourself.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:39 PM

If you are going to the battery park area you don't want to take the train into midtown.

Take the NJ transit train from the airport to Newark Penn Station. Then take the Path subway to the World Trade Center station.

The Embassy Suites will be within walking distance from there.

The total cost will be around $8.50 a person.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:24 AM

If it is cost that is the driving factor, I agree with the last suggestion. Take the AirTrain to Newark's Penn Station. Then simply switch to the PATH train for the trip into NY. This will be much easier then taking some mode into Midtown then needing to switch to the subway once in NY.

What actually might be even cheaper, is to take a taxi from the airport to Newark's Penn Station. For one person I know the cost is about $11. Usually, additional people do not add much to the cost. For about $20-$25, four of you could get to Newark Penn Station, a 10 minute ride from the airport. (Check the ariport's website as they likely give a better sense of cab fares.)
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:55 AM

If cost is your major concern, there is an alternative.

You can actually catch a local Newark city bus at the airport which will take you to Newark Penn Station. The cost is around $2/person. At Penn Station, transfer to the PATH, as someone suggested above, and take it to the World Trade Center station. (Unfortunately, I don't remember the correct bus number, but the travel information desk at the airport has always been very helpful in directing me to the right bus.)

The downside: the local bus is slow, winds its way through downtown Newark (not particularly scenic, unfortunately) and takes about half an hour to get to Newark Penn Station. (On the other hand, depending on your schedule, you could end up waiting quite a while for your rail connection at the airport, should you decide to go that route.)
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:16 AM

I would suggest getting a car service vs a taxi. The car service is a flat fee and is always a bit nicer than a taxi. You can call and arrange to have a car pick you up. The driver will have a sign with your name on it when you arrive.

Televiv is the one we often use for trips to the airport. I think the phone number is (212) 505-0555 or (212)666-6666. There is also (212) 777-7777 not sure of the service name but remembered the number.

Try looking up "car service" or "taxi service" in NYC on your computer for other services if no cars are available.

A car service will generally take less time to get into the city than taking the train.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 10:09 AM

I suggest taking a taxi rather than ordering car service because if your flight is delayed you get screwed...they charge you for "wait time".

I believe that you will have to deal with carrying your luggage up and down stairs if you do any of the Path train options.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:51 PM

Agree that luggage may be the key factor. If you are going to take PATH or subway you will have to haul the luggage up or down several flights of stairs. If that's not a problem go for the train option. If it is take a cab.

I always prefer cab to a car service so you're not stuck with all the costs of waiting time if your flight is late - unless you wait until you land to call them - and them you have to wait until they have a car available and can get it to the airport (may be quick if there's little traffic - if its rainy and rush hour it can take hours.)
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Did someone suggest the Newark local bus? ?have you been on it? I don't like stopping on the bus at the train station when it comes from southern New Jersey. It is not the local I ride but a greyhound. I have lived in NYC for about 18 years and I would never tell someone not familiar with the area to go on a local bus around Newark. Parts of Newark are extremely dicey. You get exposed to that when you are on the bus, as loud scary types will board. Not all the time but more chances if you are stopping at the Newark station ON THE BUS. I did not ride on the specific local bus mentioned above, I suspect though that two dollars is going to take you through some rough areas, I would not want it. Just giving you a heads up.

The buses going (Olympic) from the airport directly into the city though are not going to be risky.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM

Anita - Where are you flying in from? No matter how easy it is to walk with a suitcase on wheels, getting off a flight and schlepping thru the terminal, up and down escalators and stairs, can be exhausting.

Getting a cab will be easy but remember that the maximum passengers is 4, so all the luggage will have to fit into the trunk as there will be no room inside the taxi.

When I travel to and from Newark Liberty Airport, I always use the Super Shuttle - - aka the Blue Van. Plenty of luggage space as well as room for your entire family. Extremely reasonable rates. Very reliable.

Call them at 212 258-3826 for rates and reservation.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

The four of us are flying in from Atlanta - notorious for late flights so pre-booking a car sounds like a poor option. Hadn't even considered the stairs issue - MARTA here in Atlanta has elevators in all their stations for luggage/handicapped. We travel light but not that light... Don't think the bus is something we'd want to do due to time factor. I'm a little confused - is the AirTrain and the NJ Transit train one and the same? Is that the train that goes from the airport to the 'real' train station? Anyone else have any experience with the 'SuperShuttle/Blue Van'? Since we're at the southern tip of Manhattan, would we have to sit on there for hours while they drop off at every other hotel before they get to ours? We did that once in Los Vegas and swore 'Never Again'! One more question: one friend said there were usually cars from the car services there hoping to pick up fares and you could negotiate with them - true? Sorry, I seem to have more questions now than earlier..
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM

AirTrain is the name of the NJ Transit service that brings you to the Newark Ariport Station. At that station, you can also catch Amtrak trains. Basically, AirTrain simply refers to the ability to take the airport monorail to the airport train station and catch either a NJ Transit train or Amtrak train,

In terms of NJ Transit, there are elevators at both the Newark airport station and at Newark Penn Station. With the latter, you might be able to simply walk across the platform to the New York bound PATH train.

Taking that option eliminates the need to head into NY Penn Station and then connect with the subway, where as indicated elevators as less available.

If you did take the PATH train to the World Trade Center stations, there are elevators that can take you from the tain platform to street level.

In all honesty, the most expiendant way is a taxi. But, that may be above your budget. If you want to balance cost with ease of use, then take either the AirTrain or taxi to Newark Penn Station and connect to the World Trade Center bound PATH train. That train gets you closest to your destination by use of on a far less crowded train with a much easier connection than the subway from NY Penn Station to downtown NY.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM

As Ryan says, the Airtran is the service (like a monorail) within the airport that will take you to Penn Sta. in Newark, NJ where you can get other trains into the city. Herer's the website for that
http://www.airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/index.html

The Path train from there to the World Trade Center is listed as having 3 trains an hour from 6am - 9pm on this website

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsfram.htm

As to your supershuttle question, there's a website link to them on the above website. I'd contact them to find out what the usual route is for downtown and also to verify the cost for your party. It's vague as to what they charge and whether there are kids' fares.

While it's true there may be guys there looking for fares, I always find that a bit scary to get into a car with someone who's not in a regular cab line. I personally wouldn't do it.

Have you contacted your hotel to ask them what they recommend and make sure they don't have some service themselves or a company they use???
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Just to clafify the information provided in this thread.

The Airtrain is seperate from NJ Transit and run by the port authority of NY/NJ. It is a monorail that connects the Terminals and the NJ Tranist/Amtrak train station near the airport.

The Airtrain will get you to the NJ Transit Newark Airport station, NJ Transit will get you to Penn station in Newark, and finally the PATH will get you to the WTC.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies - checked back and happened to catch them before logging off. Sounds like the taxi is the best way since you're only talking about saving at most $10 by taking the trains. Cost isn't the main factor - it's just that I like to save a dollar when I can. We'll use the subway while in NYC - love all the interesting folks you encounter. Will look in the car service line when we get there to see if there's someone waiting for a fare - most definitely wouldn't get into a car with an independent. We're adventurous but not naive or stupid. But thanks for the warning nonetheless - I'm sure you see many travelers who astound you with their stupidity. It's like some people might as wear a sign around their neck that says 'I'm a tourist - abuse me'. We try to know what we're doing before we get to a destination - takes that 'fish-out-of-water' and 'deer-in-the-headlights' look away from you which is the first thing con-artists and thieves look for.