Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Train or bus from Kansas City to New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/train-or-bus-from-kansas-city-to-new-york-city-1005832/)

Thedisneygirl Feb 15th, 2014 12:32 AM

Train or bus from Kansas City to New York City

Hi all I'm planning on spending some time in Kansas City and would like to go to NYC for a few days. Are there any cool trains or buses?

abram Feb 15th, 2014 04:23 AM

IMHO, there's no such thing as a cool bus.

Either the train or the bus will take you about 3 days round trip. It's about 1200 miles each way. If you only have a few days, that could be a problem.

nytraveler Feb 15th, 2014 04:38 AM

No. The only sensile thing if you have a few days is to fly. Check for any low cost airlines for the city you will be in. Your only other option is the bus - which is likely to be tacky - not cool - and take forever to get there.

Not sure where you are from - but this is a very large country - and Kansas to NYC is 1500 miles and essentially 24 hours - if multiple drivers could take turns driving around the clock. Check Greyhound for schedules and costs for bus. Train would be much more complicated and expensive.

Also - NYC tends to be much more expensive than Kansas - really the only budget times are Jan/Feb - when the weather is ery wintry (although perhaps not more snow and cold than Kansas).

I beleive you are potentially coming here as an exchange student and would do some research on the weather - which may be very different from what you are used to (very cold and snowy winters and summers that can be hellishly hot).

Gretchen Feb 15th, 2014 04:40 AM

You could fly, probably for less than a train or bus if Southwest serves your area.
Go to Chicago instead.

charsuzan Feb 15th, 2014 09:40 AM

You might want to take a look at Chicago. Its not NYC, but has a lot to offer and is a much more doable trip from Kansas City.

Ackislander Feb 15th, 2014 02:13 PM

Southwest serves Kansas City.

nytraveler Feb 15th, 2014 04:55 PM

Flying is not only much faster but if you shop for fares is usually cheaper than train.

Thedisneygirl Feb 16th, 2014 04:22 AM

OK, I have a lot of time in Kansas so that's not a problem and also I don't mind taking the train even if it does take longer, because I like seeing the land that I'm in.

Thedisneygirl Feb 16th, 2014 04:24 AM

Oh, I'm from South Africa, and I'm living in Dubai - the heat doesn't scare me, but I've never even seen snow. Thanks for the tips.

Gretchen Feb 16th, 2014 05:04 AM

I really don't think you understand trains over a long distance in the US. They are invariably late and slow.
Chicago is a GREAT city. Don't overlook it.

nytraveler Feb 16th, 2014 08:57 AM

Yes, but much of the land you're seeing is a whole lot of not much.

And I don;t think you understand the schedules. There are a grand total of 6 stations in Kansas - not sure if you will be near one. And from the station there is 1 (ONE) train per day that goes to Chicago. Have not checked the details - but it looks like one train per day going east and one going west.

capxxx Feb 16th, 2014 11:16 AM

I looked it up: it is 7+ hours by train from KC to Chicago, then something like a 6 hour wait, and then 20+ hours by train from Chicago to NYC.

I enjoy train US train travel, but even for me this is too much discomfort, smelly toilets, and vending-machine quality food. If you are wanting to go in winter (since you mention seeing snow) there is also the danger that the whole journey is slowed down or cancelled due to the tracks not being passable.

So I too suggest that if you really want to travel by train and see some snow, you set your sites on the great city of Chicago. If it really has to be NYC, then take the plane.

(LOL ny, I will assume you misread and know perfectly well that Kansas City (the one with the train station) is in Missouri.)

nytraveler Feb 16th, 2014 05:28 PM

Amtrak lists 6 stations in Kansas - but perhaps they aren't really on the train - but a bus to a train - not sure. Or is the OP going to be in Kansas City (I didn;t realize that).

Thedisneygirl May 8th, 2014 12:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I have had to change my journey plannes. So this trip unfortunately won't be happening.

doug_stallings May 8th, 2014 05:02 AM

There's only one train station in Kansas City, but there are several bus stations. Amtrak probably runs buses from those to the main station.

tomfuller May 8th, 2014 05:58 AM

On the other hand there is only one restroom on a bus but there are several in each coach car on an Amtrak train.
The fare on the Southwest Chief and the Lake Shore Limited is $167 up to about 200 if you wait and buy your ticket last minute. The layover in Chicago is about 6 hours so you should not have to worry about a missed connection.
I'll only ride a bus if Amtrak isn't going where I want to go.
If you want to get from Kansas City to New York in less than 40 hours, you will have to fly.