Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Heading to Florida on Saturday for two weeks - rain, rain go away!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, we are heading to Orlando this Saturday for two weeks - two adults and one 3 year old. My wife is in a panic about the 10 day forecast. I've told her not to look at internet forecasts. However it shows clouds and rain for most days. I have tried to tell her that this would mean that afternoon thundershowers are forecast and not continual rain all day every day.
I'm correct, right? 30/40/50% rain mostly means afternoon thunder showers. Any thoughts are welcome
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:01 AM

Yes, do not let the forecast fool you. I have lived in Orlando for 40 years and they are often way off. We are entering our summer weather pattern where yes there is a good chance of an afternoon shower, but they are usually brief and spotty. If you are here for two weeks I can guarantee you will have lots of sun with occasional rain. It will NOT rain for 10 days straight, that you can be sure of.
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:07 AM

Summer is the rainy season in Florida...so it rains frequently.

10-day forecasts are not accurate. 5 days out is the best you will get. Don't pay any attention to forecasts that try to do a 10-day forecast or fail to give the probability (%) of precipitation that day.

" I have tried to tell her that this would mean that afternoon thundershowers are forecast and not continual rain all day every day. I'm correct, right? 30/40/50% rain mostly means afternoon thunder showers."

You are correct. The usual pattern is brief (30-45 minutes) but sometimes intense thunderstorms in the late afternoon/early evening. After the rain ends, the sun comes out and things begin to dry out.

Hope this clarifies things some. Enjoy your trip to Orlando!

Old Jun 4th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the confirmation. I have shown my wife your two posts. We are looking forward to the trip very much. First proper holiday in three years. Is it a coincidence that is the age of our little man - think not
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM

We laugh because everyday it is a 50% chance of rain. We need it though. It can rain at one end of the street and not the other though.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

I just wanted to add on my return from Orlando, that all your advice was right on the money! We had beautiful mornings and early afternoons with down pours in the late afternoon and evening. Never had a day of complete rain and we welcomed the afternoon thunder storms which cooled everything down. So this reply is as much to say thank you to the contributors as it is to help allay the fears of anyone about to travel to Orlando. We had a great two weeks of parks, KSC and relaxing by the pool. Rain never interrupted our enjoyment of the vacation!
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 09:20 AM

Glad to hear you enjoyed your to trip to Orlando!!