Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Train from Philadelphia to Newark Airport, New York.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read various threads am and feel I know both options of local trains or Amtrak to get there. Since I obviously have a plane to catch, I just wondered if you could give me an idea of timing for both options. At this point, I'm feeling like paying a bit extra for Amtrak just for the easier option and making sure I get to the airport in plenty of time.

With thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the last month I've gone from Philly to Newark Liberty Airport (EWR), once by commuter train (Septa & NJT), once by Amtrak. Both operated on time.
The huge advantage of commuter rail is that it runs more frequently.
The huge disadvantage of commuter rail is that you have to transfer from your Septa train to the NJT train in the Trenton Station. This can be problematic if you have a lot of heavy luggage. We had no problem with a moderate amount -- we just rolled it out of one train and on to another.
Also, there isn't a lot of room for luggage on these commuter trains, and you can't block the aisle while riding. If you can't lift it above you, you'll have to get creative.
Bizarrely, one thing we found troublesome about Amtrak, both going to & from EWR, was that there was almost no seats together. Both times we had to go through several cars before we found two empty seats next to each other.