Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   train from NYC to Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/train-from-nyc-to-boston-971338/)

okoshi2002 Mar 20th, 2013 10:53 PM

train from NYC to Boston

We have taken the Acela from NYC to Boston before but hoping to try the regional Amtrak train on the same route which is a lot less expensive and only takes half an hour longer.

We plan to use the train on Mar 28 Thursday. Should we get our tickets ahead of time, on line or at station ?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel_Williams Mar 21st, 2013 12:52 AM

Hi okoshi,

I'd get your tickets ahead of time if you can as trains are much more expensive last-minute.

Best wishes, Daniel

Ackislander Mar 21st, 2013 01:00 AM

You can order them on the internet and pick them up at a station kiosks, just like air tickets.

nytraveler Mar 21st, 2013 03:31 AM

Get them in advance - onlne - and you may be in time to get a discounted price. Just check the amtrak website - it will show the prices available for the various trains.

doug_stallings Mar 21st, 2013 05:07 AM

Definitely buy your tickets now (today if possible). Easter weekend is going to be incredibly busy, so by all means buy tickets in advance. A lot of people will be leaving early. You may have difficulties finding seats together, so it's useful to use a red cap porter at Penn Station to get down tot he platform with your luggage. That way you may be able to get on the train before the mad crush. You can pick up your tickets at the station, however. And I'd recommend going a bit earlier than usual since it's likely to be incredibly crowded and busy next Thursday.

panecott Mar 21st, 2013 05:18 AM

Don't forget, there is an option to take the bus, for far less $$ than Amtrak.

I think it's a bit late for much of a discount on Amtrak.

tomfuller Mar 21st, 2013 05:46 AM

If you have already ridden Amtrak you should be aware of the Quik-Trak kiosks so that you don't have to wait to buy your tickets from the ticket window on the day of travel.
You plug in your credit card for identification and then enter the alpha-numeric code and the machine prints out your tickets.
Enjoy your next Amtrak trip!

YankyGal Mar 21st, 2013 06:09 AM

I believe it's two weeks out for discounted tickets.

As the others said, buy now!

sharona Mar 21st, 2013 06:29 AM

Some of the regional trains bypass some of the smaller stations and have travel times very close to the Acela at a big savings. Shop carefully and you can save a bundle for not much more travel time.

It's probably too late for much of a discount. There's a small savings if you have AAA.

okoshi2002 Mar 21st, 2013 08:29 AM

I did not realize the prices rise as they do ! Wow, several weeks ago OW was $49, now they are $79 .
I also did not take into account the Easter holiday.

I am grateful for all the good advice- thank you !

vjpblovesitaly Mar 21st, 2013 08:32 AM

I am surprised they aren't higher than that already.

nytraveler Mar 21st, 2013 09:14 AM

Also - do realize trains will be crowded and coming in with a bunch of passengers. Worth paying a Red Cap to take you down to the platform early to have a better chance at sets together.

okoshi2002 Mar 22nd, 2013 09:37 AM

Yes apparently discounted tickets are available up to two weeks before date of travel. We did not get the most discounted tickets however the price of the seats continued to rise after we purchased yesterday for travel on March 28.Thanks -I learned something.