Search

Train from NJ to Yankee stadium?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from NJ to Yankee stadium?

Hi everyone!
We're heading to a Yankee game next week and our hotel is near Newark airport. We are planning on taking the PATH train from the airport into NY instead of driving. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get from the Newark airport to the Yankee stadium via train? How much time should we allow for travel? And how much does the train cost? I looked at the website but couldn't figure out if we should purchase a pass or just pay per trip. There's 4 of us going and we're clueless as to how this works.

Thanks for any help or travel tips!
Lisa
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM

The PATH train does not go to Newark Airport.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html

Where is your hotel exactly?

If it has a shuttle to the airport, you could take the AirTrain from the airport, connect at the Newark Airport train station to a NJ Transit train to Penn Station NYC (not Newark Penn Station). From there you can walk a block to Herald Square (34th and 6th Ave) and take the D subway train to the game. If you accomplished this in two hours, I'd think you did well.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM

From the airport it is possible to connect to the PATH via a Newark city bus to Newark Penn, then the PATH. This would require a change to get to 33rd St, where you would connect to the D train. This would take even longer than the other route I mentioned.

Your hotel can suggest the quickest way for you to get into Manhattan to connect to a Yankee Stadium-bound train.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Now I'm really confused. Haha! We're staying at the Fairfield Inn in Newark. The hotel website said they offer a shuttle to the airport. I read on a message board that you can catch a train to Manhattan from there but I had no idea it would take 2 hours. It would almost be better for us to just drive to the stadium. ?? Thanks for your quick reply!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM

To compound matters, parking is very expensive and hard to find around the stadium due to the construction of a new stadium. Maybe drive to a closer train station and take the train from there?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM

You could cu off some of the waiting time if you cut off some of the connections.

One example: drive your car to Journal Square in Jersey City and park there. From Journal Square you can take a PATH train directly to 33rd St in Manhattan. The ride takes about 25 minutes.

At 33rd St, walk thru the passages to connect to the D train, which goes directly to Yankee Stadium. This ride takes about 32 minutes according to Hopstop.com.

This might still take 1.5-2 hours, but it would be less connections, less messy.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM

You have few options on travel.

As mentioned, the PATH train does not go from the airport. There is an airport station for NJ transit trains. I believe it's a $5 fee just for accessing the train station. You could just take a cab to Newark Penn Station, where the PATH leaves from. (You will need to switch at Journal Square for a midtown train.)

If cost is the least of your concerns then the fastest way into and out of the city will be an NJ Transit train from the airport station. (Please note, you can only access the station from the monorail.)
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:32 AM

It will absolutely not take 2 hours to get from EWR to Yankee Stadium. I'd estimate more like a little over an hour if you use a combination of the Airtrain and the subway, more like the final estimate listed.

Take the Airtrain from EWR to New York (not Newark) Penn Station. Transfer to the D Train, as ellenem suggested, and take it to Yankee Stadium.

Plan on about 20 to 30 minutes for the Airtrain and another 30 minutes for the D train. Add 10 or 15 minutes in transfer time, and there you have it.

The subway costs $2 each way; the Airtrain from EWR costs about $10 each way if you use NJ Transit.

If you aren't familiar with driving in the NY area, I would steer you away from renting a car, even though it might be marginally cheaper (but consider the high cost of cars and gas here, as well as tolls and parking costs), it won't be that much cheaper, and it might very well take longer than the train. You just have to realize that traveling within the NYC area takes a long time because of traffic or transit issues.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM

How stupid of me. I forgot about the Yankee Clipper ferry service. It's not cheap (over $20 per person round-trip), but it leaves from NJ and would actually be an interesting experience. I'm not sure if it would ultimately save you much money (but the Airtrain is going to be $10 each way per person, so it might), and it has a stop in Hoboken near the PATH station. Look into it at www.nyyankeeclipper.com.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM

The EWR Airtrain brings one from the airport terminal to the Newark Airport train station. There you switch to either the NJTransit or AMTRAK train to NY Penn.

Cost each way is now $15 using AirTrain/NJTransit.

It takes about 5-10 minutes to get from EWR to the Newark Airport train station on the AirTrain. You then have to wait for the NJTransit train, which takes about 30 minutes to New York Penn.

So, just that part alone will take 40-50 minutes, depending on how long you have to wait for the NJTransit train. It takes longer and costs more than what Doug says.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Doug,

Their hotel is not at the airport, so they will have to

Shuttle from hotel to airport
AirTrain to Newark Airport train station
wait for train
NJ Transit train to Manhattan
find your way out of Penn Station NY and walk to subway
wait for subway
D Train to stadium

On the best of days this might take 1.5 hours . . . the very best of days.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I don't dispute that there is a time lag in getting to the Airtrain, but I still think 90 minutes is the outside time if they take NJ Transit, but it's going to take 60 to 90 minutes for the posters to get to Yankee Stadium regardless of which mode of transit they take, so they will just have to deal with it. I still hold that the Airtrain/NJ Transit/Subway combo is the quickest option. But you are correct that they should schedule no fewer than 90 minutes for the trip from their hotel.

I didn't look up the fare, so that's a helpful piece of information, and they have all the pieces of info. they need to make their decision. Based on that, I'd be willing to say that a taxi to Hoboken and then the Yankee Clipper might be a more cost-effective option. If they have their own car, then it might be better to do a park-and-ride in Weehauken (you can get the Yankee Clipper from there as well). If they have their own car, I'd probably suggest that as an option; if they have to rent a car, then it's still definitely easier to take the train into Manhattan.

The lesson I hope people will take from all of this is that staying in NJ isn't always a cost-effective option for multiple people when you consider the cost of transit. The posters probably thought they were saving substantially by staying in a cheaper airport hotel. I'd guess that they might have saved money by staying in a $225 per night Manhattan hotel and paying $2 each for the subway to Yankee Stadium.