Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   train from Manhattan to Melville Long Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/train-from-manhattan-to-melville-long-island-913668/)

MomDDTravel Dec 1st, 2011 05:52 AM

train from Manhattan to Melville Long Island

Greetings -

Everyone in the NYC area has been so helpful - I am looking for information on taking a train from Manhattan to Melville Long Island. I have to get there on a weekday - My husband is asking his co-worker who lives in Manhattan but takes the "train" (subway?) to Melville everyday for work - I am staying 114 West 40th Street New York, New York 10018. I told him that I would ask here as well.

Thanks in advance!
Dawn

Aduchamp1 Dec 1st, 2011 06:13 AM

You would take a commuter line called The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) from Penn Station. I think the nesrest station is Hunington. But there is no LIRR directly to Melville. You would need to take a cab from whatever LIRR station you arrive or rent a car from Manhattan.

It is independent of the NYC subway system.

mclaurie Dec 1st, 2011 06:51 AM

All LIRR trains leave from Penn station (33 st & 7th ave.) which is not a bad walk from your hotel. There are several stations near Melville depending on where in Melville you're headed. In addition to Huntington, Bethpage, Syosset and Farmingdale are other possibilities. http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm

nytraveler Dec 1st, 2011 09:19 AM

If you tale the LIRR don't count on a taxi being available imediately. In the suburbs there are few cabs and in yuor scheduling you should allow 20 or 30 minutes to catcha cab = as well as time to get to your final destination. Also, you will need to arrange a cab back to the station in advance - or again, face a possibly lengthy wait. (If it were me I would drive to anyplace not within a short walk of the train station.)

And the subway operates only witin NYC. Melville is a substanital distance out on LI - assume an hour on the train and then time for taxi and then to get to your destination (probably 2 hours each way).

DebitNM Dec 1st, 2011 09:36 AM

[OP is going to visit family/friends in Melville so I believe she just needs to get to a nearby train station and then hopefully, they can pick her up at the station.]

MomDDTravel Dec 1st, 2011 10:35 AM

Thank you , yes, I am seeing friends in Long Island and attending a company function.

Does this sound right:

Ronkonkoma Line (purple) to Farmingdale train station ? That was the information I received.

Thanks so much again! Looking forward to our time in NY!

christabir Dec 1st, 2011 10:37 AM

Hicksville is a "hub" and has a train about every 20 minutes and has cabs and buses. The N79 bus will get you to the Walt Whitman Mall. Ask the person picking you up which is the better option for them - Hicksville or Huntington.

When you get to Penn Station, check the "big board" or the small screens for the next train to your destination and see which track it's on. Buy a ticket at a kiosk - if it's between 4-8pm, buy a "peak" ticket, otherwise "off-peak" - and then wait at the track for your train. If no track info available, don't fret, the infi will appear soon. If you have bags, get a seat near the door so you can maneuver easier. A conductor will come for your ticket - sometimes they do some odd stuff, so whatever they do, just go with it (they stuff a weird stub into the ticket holder thing). You won't be able to understand the announcements, so read the station signs. When you get off the train, especially at Huntington, follow the crowds to get to the pick up area (cabs too).

Enjoy. Melville is the corporate area of LI. I hope you get to see some of the nicer areas. Bethpage State Park is very close, and the gorgeous beaches are only a half hour away. Robert Moses beaches are free off season, and just beautiful. If you are looking for stuff to do, let me know.

christabir Dec 1st, 2011 10:40 AM

MomDD - we were posting at the same time. Farmingdale only gets a train every hour or so. It's closest, but not the most convenient.

MomDDTravel Dec 1st, 2011 10:52 AM

Thank you Christabir!

I guess the hotel that I am staying at is about 4 miles from the Farmingdale station - so the best one to get off at. I will confirm.

On Friday I am meeting friends, one if driving in from massachusetts and one lives in Long Island - in the islip area? Friday night is the company party - no idea where it is - I am the spouse along for the ride :)

The beach sounds WONDERFUL. Being in Texas now... I miss the ocean so much!

DebitNM Dec 1st, 2011 10:53 AM

Perhaps the hotel has a shuttle service to train station? IF so, which one? That might help you pick the closest one.

christabir Dec 1st, 2011 11:02 AM

Is your friend in Islip picking you up? Then go to Ronkonkoma. Ronkonkoma, Hicksville and Huntington have at least three times as many trains as Farmingdale and Islip.

Get to the beach! It might be cold with a bitter wind, but wear a scarf and coat and take a walk. I do it often in the off season. The water is warmer than the air, but still cold. But you have to stick your feet in. :)

I am in the town to the west of Melville, so let me know if I can be of further help.

MomDDTravel Dec 21st, 2011 03:58 AM

I ended up not taking the train - my husband ended up driving into the city on Wed and he drove our daughter and I out to Melville. The traffic was not bad - we left the city at about 7:30 pm to avoid it. My son did take the train out on Friday to join us for the company party and I picked him up at the Farmingdale station (cute cute little town).

I love Long Island (might sound strange :-? - Farmingdale was really charming and sweet and we went to the Waltwhitman mall to met up with friends. Everyone was super friendly.

The Melville Marriott was fine (a company event there). No beach :( There was not time with meeting our friends and the company event.