Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

AirBnb be aware of a scam on this site (not AirBnb's fault)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am owner of a house that has rooms in it that I rent out. I had trouble finding my own listing because of a technical error. (My fault!) However because of that I stumbled upon someone advertising my property without my knowledge and I even managed to rent it although I did not pay. They had taken photos in my house but never bothered to arrange the dishes in the kitchen and the towels scattered on the terrace. He/They may well have been guests at one time.

I have been in touch with AirBnb by phone but so far no one has bothered to contact me. Criminal postings such as this should ring alarm bells with AirBnb as it undermines their security.

So be doubly aware that when you rent it may not be from the real owner.

I am trying to trick him into contacting me directly in order to make a complaint to the police.

Will keep you all posted but please let others know about this.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 03:36 AM

That is crazy. Just uses Airbnb for the first time. Hope you catch them.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:02 AM

Wow, that is awful and just plain creepy. Good luck!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:23 AM

That is rotten. If the address of your place is listed securely with airbnb, they should have some system that alerts them if the same address is listed by two owners.

You have the same problem I did, except I was a renter. I like airbnb and have used them with great success, but when I had a billing issue and needed a quick answer, I got only a slow response by email that sent on-line forms to fill out. They actually never answered my question - ever. I eventually got it from the apartment owner who was very, very nice.

Thank you for posting and please let us know the outcome and how airbnb handles it.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:25 AM

Very interesting post. There is a special place in Hell for people who do things like that!

I despise staying in other people's homes -- even close friends' or relatives', so AirBnB simply doesn't appeal to ME at all.

But I'm curious. How do you accept payment and when? I'd always be skeptical of renting any kind of place where I couldn't charge it to a credit card or perhaps PayPal, so at least there is some protection.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 05:26 AM

Could you post this also on the European forum? Many people on Fodors post there and rent via airbnb in Europe.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 07:41 AM

If you have been in touch with Air BnB and they have not responded - how many other problems are out there that they are not responding to.

Doesn't give you a whole lot of confidence n their operation.

And they are actually advertising here in NYC - under the guise or legal renters (home owners in Brooklyn) who just LOVE having Air BnB guests - but no info that for many apartment renters this is illegal.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 03:13 PM

Oh my! My mind wanders into how evilness like this happens. I guess someone could rent from you, make a copy of the key, and then snap up a few pics and list the place. They know no one lives there and figure it's a roll of the dice that you won't have it rented out the same weekend. Scary :/