Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traffic from Malibu to Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traffic-from-malibu-to-santa-monica-or-marina-del-rey-480007/)

uwdsr Oct 12th, 2004 03:50 PM

Traffic from Malibu to Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey

I'm going to a conference at Pepperdine in January. I'd like to stay in Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey, but I'm worried about the traffic to Malibu, as I have to arrive every day by 8:30 and leave at 5:30. How bad is the traffic at that hour and how long will it take? My other option is to stay in Westlake Village or Agoura. Thanks!

eurosurfergirl Oct 12th, 2004 04:38 PM

santa monica-malibu is about 15-20 minutes considering there is no traffic. Marina Del Rey would be about 30 minutes. Not sure about Westlake Village though

uwdsr Oct 12th, 2004 05:40 PM

Yes, but is the traffic bad?

Iregeo Oct 12th, 2004 06:21 PM

Pepperdine is my alma mater!

To get to Malibu from Santa Monica at that hour, I would leave myself 45 minutes to drive up Pacific Coast Highway. That should be more than sufficient, barring some horrific accident, a rockslide or a fire!

You could expect about the same from Westlake Village. The variable there would be traffic on the 101 heading south (toward L.A.) until you reach your exit (Las Virgenes).

All things being equal, I'd stay in Santa Monica. Westlake Village is so suburban, and Santa Monica is...well... Santa Monica!

Have fun!

tracys2cents Oct 12th, 2004 07:36 PM

Holiday Inn Brentwood/Bel Air is about 30 min from Pepperdine, might be another choice. You are kinda going against the traffic from there.

uwdsr Oct 13th, 2004 04:17 AM

Any other nice hotels in that area? I'm looking to spend up to 150 a night.

clarkgriswold Oct 13th, 2004 06:57 AM

There's the Shangri-La in Santa Monica, a bit closer to Malibu than some of the other SM hotels because you don't get into the downtown traffic. Not sure if the Malibu Country Inn has rooms in that price range during January, or if they have internet access in the rooms.

Radisson Bel Air isn't too bad a drive to Pepperdine, but I like the Holiday Inn there a bit better.

youinhaledlol Oct 13th, 2004 07:31 AM

There is NO traffic that time of day heading west toward Pepperdine. You'll be going against traffic each time.

Iregeo Oct 13th, 2004 09:22 AM

uwdsr, you might want to go on tripadvisor, which lists some Malibu hotels within your price range. Just a thought.

uwdsr Oct 13th, 2004 03:48 PM

Yes, I went to that site but the reviews are so mixed! And, no info about traffic or getting around.

Iregeo Oct 13th, 2004 07:25 PM

Well, I'm sure that the reviews are also mixed for Santa Monica, the Marina and Westlake Village. But if you find a place in Malibu, you eliminate any traffic concerns and, it ain't a half bad place to hang out for a few days!

One last thought -- being January, is it possible that there may be some on campus housing available for your conference?

uwdsr Oct 14th, 2004 03:30 AM

There is on-campus housing, and it looks very nice, but it's as expensive, if not moreso, than the hotels.

youinhaledlol Oct 14th, 2004 06:13 AM

Contact Casa Malibu for details and prices. An easy five minutes from Pepperdine. Request a rehabed room.

Surfergirl Oct 14th, 2004 06:18 AM

You might opt for the on-campus housing, since the campus is really in a beautiful area. Since you'll be going in January, our wet month (relatively speaking for So. Cal), you'd be better off close to the area or on campus. That area is known for flooding -- a couple of big floods occurred in Malibu in the last decade.

For example, if you arrive and stay, say in Santa Monica, and we get the first of our rains, the roads are slick with oil, which people forget and we So. Californians (I admit it!) are generally lousy at driving in rain. Further, there are generally rock slides along Pacific Coast Highway during rainy season.

Iregeo Oct 14th, 2004 08:08 AM

uwdsr, go on Pepperdine's website. It's like a mediterranean retreat! It's on PCH, directly across the street from the ocean. Some student housing (the law school) even has ocean views.

If you stay right there, you'll have great scenery, great restaurants close by. I don't know how long you'll be there, but it seems ideal.