Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Traditional travel boredom- is this common with age?

Jul 14th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I went to see Arthur Frommer recently. He talked about how he has become bored with traditional traveling and now needs something extra. This made me think!

Our recent trips (to exciting destinations) have not excited us as much as they did 15 years ago. Is this just me, as an aging 49 year old, or do other people in middle age lose the excitement of travel as they get older?
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Maybe it's not the loss of excitement in travelling as much as it the loss of patience.
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Geeeez 49 years old!!! I have neckties that old. What are you going to do when you hit the 60s?
Think positine young-un.
Travel (among other things) still excites me in my mid 60s.
Jul 14th, 2003, 10:59 AM

travelquestion,

Maybe your "exciting" destinations are not all that exciting.

May I ask where your last few trips have been???

I, for example, got bored of Europe and my last four major trips have been:

1. China (2001)
2. South Africa and Zimbabwe (2002)
3. Chile (including Atacama Desert and Patagonia) (2002)
4. South Africa and Zambia (2003)

I cannot say that I suffered too many dull moments on those trips. If there were an elephant or a lion within 15-20 feet and you would probably have a hard time being bored!

Jul 14th, 2003, 11:00 AM

That should say think positive
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:55 PM

I'm with John. I've never been bored on vacation, and I was 67 on Saturday.
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM

There is always something to see in a place - even if it is just absorbing the local flavor of a place. Also, if travel is your work, then it is different than leisure travel - a vacation for me is also time to relax, read a book, spend time with my family and even catch up on sleep - hopefully in an interesting setting.

I have enough ideas of places I want to travel to last me more than my expected lifespan (and I am 48)
Jul 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM

I think most places are better in the brochures than in person. And you don't do what you really like to do, if you like fishing-do that.,etc.

We run around like robots to SEE what we are supposed to see at that place.

I love scenery and picnicing by the water, DH loves history and scenery and no mountain passes out west.

So, I try to plan for that.,if we miss a church or museum-we couldn't care less.

Jul 14th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I've noticed close to your age my priorities changed. Before I was a museum nut, now I love nature and scenery. I don't think it's about being bored, more likely it's about wanting something different. Mid-life crisis
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Excellent advice/observations above.

My position on this?

The foundations of happiness and excitement are within, not without.

Perhaps you're simply bored with your LIFE, not just travel.

Perhaps you need a hobby on which you can piggyback your travel to make it more interesting.

Perhaps you're depressed (I'm not being snide here...the midlife thing can be sneaky).

Perhaps you've become rutted in the same TYPE of trips repetitively.

What about an adventure trip, an educational trip, a college alumnus trip, a trip for which you have to prepare (even learning a language).

Jul 14th, 2003, 06:49 PM
LN

Hi

If, by chance, you've become bored with vacation why not take your vacation time and use it to help "Habitat" it's a program started by Jimmy Carter and it takes people of all ages and trades and skills and knowledge and puts them to work helping some elderly or poor people get their homes up to par again. This is truly a great program and I'll guarantee that you'll come away feeling that you've accomplished something and definitely NOT be bored!
Jul 14th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Jayne1973

Your post made me think. I don't know how you define traditional travel, but perhaps it's someone else's idea of what and how you should vacation.

My suggestion is to think about what you really would like to do and customize your trip accordingly.

For instance, my husband and I, who are about your age, want to, in a couple of years, take a train to Chicago, rent a Corvette, and drive the old Route 66 to L.A. For us, that is just way cool.

Maybe you are in the mood for a little nonconformity...

Jul 14th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Travel definitely doesn't "feel like the first time" anymore, but then again neither does anything else. We are at the point we are repeating destinations traveled in the past. At one time there were all kinds of places I wanted to visit, especially in the Middle East and Asia. No more. I've gotten where I like things a little easier, if less exotic. Cleanliness, personal safety, availability of medical services, and an absence of hassle in general count more than before. I also can't ignore the fact that the world gets less exotic by the day. That doesn't mean travel has to be boring. An old destination could be a new experience say by taking up scuba, golf, fishing, etc. Agree with the Habitat post. Medical and other missions can be similar experiences. By the way, I'm not quite 40 yet.
Jul 14th, 2003, 08:52 PM

I can kind of relate. I went to Greece when I was 26 and it was my first time to Europe and I got such a thrill from being able to go to places I only thought I would ever read about (growing up we had not enough money for travel except road trips). Just being there was so exciting. Since that time I've visited many different places and enjoyed them all but I didn't get quite the high as I did that very first trip.
Jul 14th, 2003, 09:12 PM

Maybe it's kind of like that old saying about romance "when the bloom wears off, there better be something underneath it"?

At some point, I would think, destinations can't be exciting all by themselves. Not if you can boil the view down to rocks, sand, water, buildings, etc. I think that's when, for myself, having interests that are a part of me (potentially anyway, if I develop that through some reading and so on) jump starts the interest level to dig into historical and cultural aspects of a place a little deeper, rather than waiting for the thrill to come to me.

Jul 15th, 2003, 06:15 AM

What is "traditional travel" as compared to non-traditional travel?

Maybe those "exciting" destinations are not really what you want. Each of us knows what we like to do; and if you travel with a partner, there are compromises you each make. I am a bit older than you are, & every trip excites me. I'm already planning the next one as soon as I come back from the most recent! Trendy places do nothing for me. I go where I like to be.
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:29 AM

We've been taking road trip vacation for 30 years and I not bored yet.

Utahtea
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:36 AM

travelquestion the exact same question plagues me with each trip to Hawaii. At the end of each trip (once a year) I tell myself I need to explore a new country as I did in my younger years (I am 43). Each trip I say next time I will go to Japan, South American, New Zealand broaden my horizons. Well next time rolls around. I make reservations check out all the details pehaps by a book or two but when it comes time to book a flight I fold and back to Hawaii I go.

It is about age and you should find a way not to fold but let me know when you have found it because for me it is simply beyond my control!!!
Jul 15th, 2003, 06:45 AM

PS I don't think it is boring in Hawaii but I think it is less work going back to a place you know. I still find new hikes, sights, restaurants on each trip but it is not the same as feeling as though you are living an article on National Geographic. Again I think it is about age we just seek comfort, predictability. I am never worried about getting a hotel in the next village before dark. I don't have to haggle for my room and all the other inconveniences you can expect in an exotic location. Plus I really love Hawaii!!!
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Speak for yourself, Sarah. I am older than you are & plan to continue to explore new places until I can no longer travel. But I do have friends who year after year go back to the same places, take the same cruise, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO