Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner in Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traditional-thanksgiving-dinner-in-chicago-179246/)

Mary Ellen Aug 22nd, 2001 11:44 AM

Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner in Chicago

Well for the first time our family will not be having Thanksgiving Dinner at home this year. My only daughter is attending law school in Chicago and can't get away for holiday (finals start Monday following Thanksgiving!) We are going to be visiting her instead and obviously she will have no time to cook, not to mention she lives in a studio apartment. We need to find somewhere to eat on Thanksgiving which will serve the traditional lavish spread, price not an object on this particular occasion. Has anyone done this before? Did it feel odd to be at a restaurant on Thanksgiving?

Pat Aug 22nd, 2001 11:53 AM

If price is no object, The Four Seasons puts on quite the spread for Thanksgiving - call in advance. My husband & I ate out alone once for Thanksgiving,(sans the 25+ family members that are usually in attendance at someone's home), & it actually was quite lovely - no kids running everywhere/no wine spills on carpeting/NO FOOTBALL GAMES!!! We had an early leisurely dinner & then took a long walk before dark - very peaceful.

kam Aug 22nd, 2001 01:36 PM

I would inquire at the Drake Hotel as well as the Tremont about possible dinners. They are both old Chicago buildings and would be lovely. I would think they probably attract Chicagoans who don't want to eat at home as well.

patg Aug 22nd, 2001 01:52 PM

The Chicago Tribune usually publishes a list of special dinners in the Friday section a week or two before the holiday. See chicagotribune.com <BR> <BR>Chiicago magazine has the best listings of area restaurants (chicagomag.com)- you could review them and call directly. Most of the big hotels have lavish spreads for Thanksgiving. The Drake would certainly be an excellent choice.

Arabella Aug 22nd, 2001 02:13 PM

I lived in Chicago for three years and we had Thanksgiving dinner at the Chicago Hilton on South Michigan. Food was wonderful and the room was beautiful.

frank Aug 22nd, 2001 03:20 PM

I once took my wife and her elderley relatives to Lawry's Prime Rib (except they served turkey).

Kayla Aug 23rd, 2001 09:10 AM

Lawry's, the Four Seasons, the Ritz all have great spreads. Lawry's is fun for it's "old time" charm--very atmospheric, darkly lit dining rooms with huge fabic-covered booths. They have amazing prime rib, as well as turkey, with fun sides to choose from, such as yorkshire pudding (not really pudding), creamed spinach, etc. The Four Seasons has a very nice and comprehensive buffet, but feels a bit stuffy. The Hotel Nikko Chicago used to have an amazing spread, and the desserts there were sooooo good. You should call some of the above-mentioned hotels and get prices, as well as a description of what is served, and what "seating times" are available. Good luck!

Chicagoan Oct 8th, 2001 06:13 PM

I second Lawry's.