Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

tracy's arm fjord? harv & marv tours? both in juneau.

May 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

do the large cruise ships (golden princess) go into or through tracy's arm fjord, or will we be better off taking a small- boat trip from juneau? can anyone recommend a "harv & marv" tour?
May 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM

I did not see the large cruise ships in Tracey's Arm Fijord. There is a large steamship style paddle boat that does it. But we took a small boat trip and took amazing photos there. It was a highlight of our Alaska trip to be so close to the glacier and see/hear it calving. You just cannot get that close on the big ships. If you haven't been there before, Alaska will take your breath away!
May 27th, 2009, 08:45 PM

We went on Sapphire Princess last year. I think we went down Tracy Arm. Alaska was AWESOME!!! I can't wait to go back. If you can go whale watching in Juneau. We saw so many it was amazing. We took the purple boat and had a great experience. Mendenhall Glacier is beautiful and end the day witha "Duck-fart" at the Red Dog Saloon! Have a great time.
Jun 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM

YES, cruiseships DO sail Tracy Arm, differences depend- HOW far. It's a 30 mile dead end with the Twin Sawyer Glaciers at the end. NOT all ships make the full transit, less than half. ALWAYs superior are the boat tours. IF you have 12 hours in port consider them. Or NCL's add on Tracy Arm boat tour.
Jun 8th, 2009, 10:03 AM

We did a Harv & Marv whale-watching trip last May and it was, without a doubt, the highlight of our cruise. To this day, I cannot believe all the beauty I saw. We were out for about 4 hours (I think) and I took almost 400 pictures. It was amazing and their service is perfect. They only take 6 people per trip so there is plenty of room to move around on the boat. I was especially happy I booked this whale-watching excursion after seeing the boatload of folks who had booked through the cruiseline. Looked like about 150 people standing shoulder to shoulder - not my idea of a good time. I booked this independently of the ship about 8 months before our trip and got the last 2 spots on the boat. I think there are reviews on TripAdvisor.com if you are interested.
Jul 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Tracy Arm is by far the most scenic trip there is. On my trip I saw unbelievable calving glaciers, bears, humpback whales, killer whales, beautiful waterfalls and much more. I definitely recommend going to Tracy Arm. In fact, there is a movie on Tracy Arm called "Alaska, The Tracy Arm Experience". The film captures the beauty of this incredible place. You can buy the film here from Film Baby:

http://www.filmbaby.com/films/4148

I highly recommend Tracy Arm. If you get a chance, experience it yourself. And don't forget to buy the film too!
Jul 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM

OCdogmom
I would love to hear about your adventure on Sapphire. We (family of five) are sailing August 1 with stops in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican. Please share your thoughts!