Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Towneplace vs Residence Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/towneplace-vs-residence-inn-218789/)

Pat Dec 30th, 2001 10:49 AM

Towneplace vs Residence Inn

My husband's company has suggested these lodging options while he is in training Jan 28-Feb.1. It appears they are located in the Lynnwood area. Any experience with these two facilities or alternatives are appreciated. Also, suggestions to see in that area.<BR><BR>Would it be a long commute for him from downtown if we chose to stay closer to the 'action?' I will have to entertain myself for most of a week. We will take a few extra days to spend together. <BR><BR>Thanks for all help!

Bob Brown Dec 30th, 2001 11:50 AM

I have limited experience with them, but of the ones I have stayed in, I prefer Residence Inns over Towneplace Suites. The Towneplace room my wife and I stayed in was poorly laid out. <BR>Also there was no way to cook anything in our room. Perhaps they have some units with more of a kitchen.<BR>The bed was up against the window and did not leave much space for walking.<BR><BR>The Residence Inn place was a little larger and there was more of a kitchen.<BR>I prefer it.<BR>I am assuming that you do not pay for the accommodations out of your own pocket.<BR>

Celeste Dec 30th, 2001 12:14 PM

Sorry, can't tell what area you're talking about even though you probably picked a state from the pulldown menu. Where is Lynnwood?

Al Godon Dec 30th, 2001 03:06 PM

If we are playing a guessing game, there is a Lynnwood north of Seattle.<BR>

Pat Dec 31st, 2001 09:12 AM

Bob,<BR><BR>The company apparently negotiated rates of $85 at these two. We do like a refrigerator and possibly would cook since it will be a week or more. We have stayed in Residence Inns with a wide variance in staff and cleanliness. Haven't tried a Towneplace. We may find another place and pay the difference. We need to be an easy commute from Fluke Corp. Any recommendations?<BR><BR>Celeste and Al,<BR><BR>Definitely thought I chose Washington from the menu. It looks like Lynnwood is a small town within commuting distance from Seattle. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!<BR>

Jennifer Dec 31st, 2001 09:42 AM

Pat:<BR>Even if you select a state from the pulldown menu it does not show up in the posting.<BR>If it did, it would only be a "Fluke".<BR><BR>Now that seems an odd name for a corporation. Doesn't breed much confidence in clients, it wouldn't seem.<BR>Though I once knew a physician named Dr. Larry Quack. But obviously you can't choose your relatives.

Bob Brown Dec 31st, 2001 10:17 AM

I cannot help you on Lynwood. In Seattle, I have stayed only at the Mariott properties close to Seatac Airport. I opted for the Courtyard the last two times, but most Courtyards are motels without anything else in the room as I recall.<BR>My son uses Mariott a lot, but he has had no experience with Residence Inns in the Seattle area because his territory is east of the Mississippi River.<BR>I am surprised that there is a wide variation in cleanliness, etc. I use Fairfield Inns frequently and find them to be of cookie cutter consistency.<BR><BR>More on the Towneplace Suite set up.<BR>My room(s) did not have an eating table.<BR>If you wanted to eat anything, you had to use the desk, or the table in front of the couch, which was quite low.<BR>They did have a fair breakfast. Not up to Austrian standards by any means, but fair.<BR>Lots of sweet, sticky stuff as I recall.<BR>

Gail Jan 1st, 2002 09:59 AM

Just stayed in a TownPlace in Fort Lauderdale. There was a small kitchen equipped with an oven and stove, microwave, toaster, refrigerator, garbage disposal. There was a small dining area with a table.