Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Town closest to the Grand Canyon that you can take tours without a car (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/town-closest-to-the-grand-canyon-that-you-can-take-tours-without-a-car-221728/)

gaileyann Jan 6th, 2004 02:35 PM

Town closest to the Grand Canyon that you can take tours without a car

What town would be close to the Grand Canyon that if you flew there you wouldnt need a car-- just take tours?

FainaAgain Jan 6th, 2004 03:05 PM

I know of tours out of Las Vegas - bus (all day!) and plane or helicopter. Also a train goes to the south rim, is it from Williams, AZ?

Tandoori_Girl Jan 6th, 2004 04:42 PM

There must be tours from Flagstaff, no?

help Jan 6th, 2004 06:34 PM

there is an airport outside the park....ck out grand canyon airlines.com---the # is 1-866-2FLYGCA....or Papilion.com @1-800-528-2418...or airstar.com(#?)...also try thecanyon.com----there is tours out of Vegas and Phx too...and actiontours.com from Vegas and Greyline bus tours out of Vegas...this is buses from Flagstaff but don't know info...ck their Chamber of Com.----

Kat22 Jan 6th, 2004 07:38 PM

I would recommend flying out of Las Vegas on one of the small plane tours. We have used Vison Air on two different occasions.
You get a tour over the canyon, arrive at the Grand Canyon airport and then take a bus to 3 different areas of the South Rim.
I think the Flight to the Canyon was about 2 hours and the flight back (less scenic) was 45minutes. It is pricey, but I think it is worth it. I can't stand being on a bus all day, so I say flying is the way to go. They also provide lunch or breakfast for you depending on how earlier in the morning you leave

gail Jan 7th, 2004 12:31 AM

If you are carless/don't/can't drive, what about one of the many advertised multi-day tours that include GC plus other stops such as Zion, Bryce, etc. I am not sure you want a collection of day trips - distances are too great.

utahtea Jan 7th, 2004 11:13 AM

You can take a Gray Hound Bus from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. Once in the Grand Canyon you can get around with the free park shuttle system.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/...sportation.htm

Utahtea

kkj Jan 7th, 2004 01:36 PM

First of all just to educate everyone. There is a Greyhound Bus Lines and there are Gray Line Tours. They are two different companies and the spellings are done this way.

If you want to do tours you can stay in Flagstaff. There is a Gray Line Tours office there that can do tours for you. Or you could go a little further and stay in Vegas or Phoenix. Both of these locations would offer tours to the Canyon as well. Greyhound offers service to Flagstaff only. They don't go to the South Rim. From Flagstaff you need to take a shuttle operated by Gray Line Tours/Open Road Tours into the Canyon. (By the way Gray Line Tours/Open Road Tours can also shuttle you from the Phoenix Airport all the way to the Canyon.)

Personally, it is more expensive to fly into Flagstaff and I would be bored out of my mind there without a car. Try flying into Phoenix (it's cheaper) and renting a car to go the short drive to Flagstaff. At least you would have some way to get around in the evenings.
It would probably be cheaper to do this than pay to fly to Flagstaff.

Also depending on the time of the year you are going you may want to do the Phoenix or Vegas route.

Someone mentioned Williams as a place to stay. There is nothing to do there except wait for the train. I wouldn't recommend going there.

Regarding flight tours, they can be fabulous, but do check out their safety records. You will find out that the flights that typically crash tend to leave from Vegas.

Have a great trip.

utahtea Jan 8th, 2004 06:19 PM

Oops, I read that wrong. Grayhound bus does not go to the Grand Canyon.

Utahtea