Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Toursaver, s it too late and please give your opinion on us leaving our itinerary flexible?

Search

Toursaver, s it too late and please give your opinion on us leaving our itinerary flexible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am leaving for Alaska in about 2 weeks. I just found out about the toursaver book from reading all of your very helpful posts. Is is too late to order one and find it useful?

Also, our intinerary is to fly into Anchorage, drive around for a week concentrating on Kenai and Denali area then head back to Anchroage to catch a Princess cruise in Whittier. We were planning on "winging-it" a little bit like we did in Ireland...you know leaving things flexible for exploring, weather related concerns. Any opinions as to whether or not tours and accomodations will still be crowded at the end of August and 1st week of September?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Haven't gotten a toursaver myself yet, but had some thoughts on your itinerary.
We are going the first two week of September. The only thing we have booked is our first few nights lodging and our Denali bus tickets. From what we've read, its good to get bus tickets ahead of time so you can get the bus you want. Usually the early bus has the best wildlife viewing.
My two cents....
Molly
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM

We only had some parts of our trip booked ahead of time. Just keep in mind that it's a long ways from Denali to the Kenai and the weather can be different in each place. The only problem we had was Talkeetna was fully booked so the visitors center helped us find a cabin about 45 minutes away. We got a b&b in Seward without doing any research and we wished we had found a friendlier place with a hot breakfast. Maybe make up a list of 5 or 6 places in each town ahead of time. We called the night before and our first two choices were full. We had no trouble booking a Kenai Fjords cruise the night before. We ended up returning to Homer a second time because we didn't have enough time on our first visit but the people with us had to get back. I really liked Homer and should have planned to stay a couple of nights. You might check the Anchorage Daily News at www.adn.com for the calendar of events.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your relpies and input. I truly appreciate it!!! FYI-Through lots of internet research and phone calls, I am finding out that winging it is not going to be as easy as in Ireland. It seems like most of the place I would like to stay are booked or only have 1 night out of 2 available.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 05:17 AM

As I replied on your other post- this is not a good idea. You are traveling peak season and lodging reservations are necessary- IF you don't want to sleep in your car or drive for hours looking for someplace. There is NOT mile after mile of vacant signs on hotels. A lot of lodging is hidden. I would reserve now.