Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tournament of Roses Parade (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tournament-of-roses-parade-325059/)

Brandessa Jun 7th, 2003 11:00 AM

Tournament of Roses Parade

Would like to attend the Tournament of Roses Parade. Looking for suggestions of where to get tickets with guarranteed GOOD seating, recommended hotels to stay in, and any other information anyone feels will be helpful.

Surfergirl Jun 7th, 2003 12:57 PM

Hi,
The hotels along the parade route sell out a year in advance, and they hike up the prices.
Having said that, I suggest you go to tournamentofroses.com, which will provide you with information on tickets, hotels, and packages.

m367 Jun 8th, 2003 06:10 AM

Because of the many participants in the parade, and numerous tours, many hotels are already booked (as stated above). Some have a minimum of 3 nights.
For good seating, I would take my own chair, and sit on the curb. Last year,we were 3/4 down the parade route, and the Washington State fans were across from us. They were in the top rows of the grandstand, and "locked" in there. Who knows what they paid!

Being on the curb, freedom of movement, a bag of snacks, and you'll have a great day meeting new people as well. Look for people who have camped out, and when they fold up their blankets, etc., you just gradually, and politely, inch forward. Great view on the ground, regardless. Just don't get a lightpost in the middle of all our camera shots.

Brandessa Jun 10th, 2003 10:11 AM

Thank you. I checked out the website for the tournament of roses and it appears that the best bet for an "out of towner" is to just buy the land package offered there which gives you alot of options with no driving or parking hassles. Also, finding a hotel room without the consolidators is a joke.
The tickets include grandstand seating at 80 S.Orange Blvd. Does anyone have any recommendations regading the grandstand seats - curb level vs. elevated tiers? Is this a good viewing location or are you facing sun?

Will be there 4 nights. Any restaurant recommendations?

JSRX2 Jun 10th, 2003 01:16 PM

Something that's neat to do also is check out the floats after the parade. I believe the exhibit area opens up about an hour after the parade ends - get there early and you'll miss most of the crowd (which would probably be a nice break from the crowding at the parade itself).

If I had a choice of sitting in the stands, I would want to be 10-15 feet above street level. Most floats are very tall, so that'll keep you from having to look up all day.

It'll be a blast either way though.

Brandessa Jun 10th, 2003 07:04 PM

Thanks JSR for taking the time to reply. Your logical recommendation of sitting higher in the stands is exactly what I was looking for. It makes good sense, and I will request a higher seat. The tour I am planning on taking includes both a preiew tour showing how the floats are made and also a tour of the floats after the parade. Another point you made that helped me decide to go with this particular tour is to get to the exhibit early after the parade to beat the crowds. It's my understanding the the seats are at the beginning of the parade route and we will then go directly to the exhibit which means we SHOULD be there before alot of the crowd.

I appreciate you help.

marthag Jun 11th, 2003 07:55 AM

Brandessa.....I,too, am interested in taking a tour for the Rosebowl activities. Can you please give me the name and contact website for your tour?It sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks so much.

Brandessa Jun 11th, 2003 02:51 PM

Marthag -Checked out two websites - tournmentofroses.com (click on 2004 tournament of roses, then tickets, and you will be able to click on their official tours for info. Other website is pasadenacal.com. (info is under rose parade and game info)