Touristy Weekend at the Wharf - Review

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from spending the weekend on Fisherman's Wharf and we did most of the typical touristy things, since my husband has never been there.
Stayed at the Tuscan Inn, which is as nice (and small) as every says. I think it is probably the best place to stay on the Wharf, esp. if you are traveling without kids. Lots of couples. The wine reception was great and they even offered chair massages, which is so nice after a long day of sight seeing. We passed a new hotel opening this week called the Argonaunt which looks very cool.

Must dos:
- The Aquarium of the Bay was really wonderful. We went on Friday night after 7pm and it was pretty dead by that time. They close at 8pm, but if you get in before 8, they let you stay as long as you want and wander around. You can "pet" the baby stingrays and sharks too.
- The evening tour of Alcatraz with Blue and Gold Fleet. Don't know how to compare it with the day tour, but I thought it added something to be there at night. Definitely worth doing and book in advance on the Internet.
- Walk down Lombard Street. Don't drive down it. I think it would just be annoying waiting in that looooong line of cars.
- Use the cable cars and bus system (Muni?) to get around. It was pretty easy to figure out and for only a buck a day (for the bus) you can get anywhere.
- Other things we did - walked Golden Gate bridge. Neat to see but didn't feel like we needed to walk the entire way. Went to Chinatown - at first we were in the less "touristy" part and was a little freaky the way the markets sell fish, etc. could have done without that - but still interesting. The Haight - great for people watching and shopping if you like funky stores, but a little depressing with all the homeless. Don't go at night. I think we could have skipped it. Union Square is great for shopping if you like the big department stores. Kind of reminded me of Michigan Ave. in Chicago but nicer. SF Art Museum - have a big Chagall exhibit going on which was great.

Just wanted to share since I really get a lot out of everyone's comments here when I'm planning a trip!

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the post, I'll be traveling to SF myself in Sept. and the info is helpful Can I ask a few questions?

What was the Tuscan Inn's fee for parking?

What restaurants did you eat at? Anything worth recommending?

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM

Sounds like a fun trip.

Last year my husband and I did some touristy SF things since my husband had never done them - born and raised in California, but had never ridden a cable car. We saw a moving truck get stuck on the twisty part of Lombard - they weren't even delivering anything there, so I'm thinking they just wanted to see if they could go down it. They ultimately had to hop the curb and ran over part of a hedge and a bunch of other plants to get out.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Hello, Dneilp, can you please tell more about Chagall's, did you have tickets or had to stay in line, what day and time was it? Was it overcrowded and hard to get to each painting or not?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Kal

We love the Tuscan. I think the valet parking there is $23ish?

The att. restaurant, Pescatore, is pretty good too. They also serve a good breakfast. Ceasar's is located around the corner for some inexpensive Italian. 7 course prix fixe dinner available. Pigs knuckles, too!

You're not too far away from No. Beach or Ghiradelli Sq.
We stopped at McCormick & Kuleto's at GhSq Saturday and woofed down a doz. oysters, a few beers and took in the beautiful view of the Bay.

As for doing touristy things, the next trip down we'll be doing the "Mangia Tour of NoBeach".
I also want to do the SF tour on the Fire Truck before I die!

We also noticed the Argonaut Hotel. Great location. Have a few IC's at the BV and be within stumbling distance to your hotel is pretty nice. The BV has a good breakfast, too.

Man.
I'm hungry now.
Kal
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Oh no! Not the fire truck tour?! I have a friend visiting from England who bid high on the fire truck tour at a charity auction. She's really got a thing for firemen. Unfortunately she found out too late that the fire truck tour really has nothing to do with firemen - it's just like taking a tour on a simulated fire truck.

It looks like it'd be really cold and uncomfortable to me - but I suppose if you hit it at the right time of year it could be fun.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Kal

NO FIREMEN??? I'll call Mrs K right away.

A tour with a little fog/chill in the air maybe with a bit o' the in a large coffee to keep the chill away???
Our type of vacation!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I heard about this tour - they give your some firemen's attire, so Mr. Kal you can trick your Mrs Kal with some phony pictures Or brag later about your adventurous years of fire service.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys -

Branv - I'm not sure what the parking was since we didn't have a car. But someone else posted that info! We didn't go to too many really good resturants - just walked around and would stop - but the Tuscan Inn resturant is very nice! You will like it. Also on Pier 39 Bubba Gumps was fun - it's a chain, but they have a great view of the bay and really good fruity drinks!

J- that is hilarious about the moving truck getting stuck on Lombard St. What were they thinking??!? All's I keep thinking about was how do the people that live on that street deal with the constant stream of people and cars. Crazy. It's very cute though.

Faina - We went to the SFMOA on a Sunday and the exhibit was open until 6pm. I was suprised. There was a bit of a line and it was crowded. Try to go on a weekday if you can! I think it cost $15 for a ticket w/the Chagall exhibit, or $20 for a headphone tour. I wish we would have done the headphones.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:44 AM

We did the fire-engine tour when we were out there in 2001. On September 10, in fact. A tad cheesy, but loads of fun! The driver is retired from the SFPD, and you're riding on a real fire truck--a 1954 Mack. Goes across the GG Bridge, and winds down through Sausalito (I believe) for the photo-op, with you in front of the fire engine and the bridge in the background.

That picture is a fond memory of the last day of another era....
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:23 PM
Kal

Faina2-Please let the record show I did not make any jokes about my firehose.O
She does make me wear red suspenders from time to time.

Booker-Cheesy is my middle name! As long as I can make a siren noise and have my ears flap in the wind, I'm there, baby!
Mahalo,

Kalvin Cheesy Kahuna I
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Question about the Tuscan Inn. You mentioned it is good if you are not traveling with kids...I am thinking of staying there in May with my husband and 18 month old daughter...would you recommend against that and if so, why?
Thanks in advance! Your review was very helpful!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 08:47 PM

In reply to question about Tuscan Inn with kids - we were there with 2 kids (10 and 14) and because rooms are small and suites very limited (we got a 2 room thing they called a suite but it was really an enlarged entryway with sofa bed and small bedroom right over parking entrance - noisy) it is tough with kids. An 18 month old might be OK. Also, atmosphere is less kid-friendly than some other Wharf hotels.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:59 AM

How does one go about arranging a firetruck tour?