Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Torrey Pines Golf Course $95. plus the cart. Any other suggestions on where to play in San Diego area?

Torrey Pines Golf Course $95. plus the cart. Any other suggestions on where to play in San Diego area?

Oct 9th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Toni

We will be in San Diego the first weekend in in November and I really wanted to play Torry Pines but it is really pricey.
$95. plus your cart for a Friday tee time.
Are there other courses in the area that you have played and enjoyed that aren't quite so expensive?
It doesn't have to be right in San Diego as we will have a car.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Oct 9th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Barbara

Toni, I do not golf and so can't give you any personal hints, however I do suggest you check out the web site www.golfsd.com. You might find what you need there. Good luck.

Oct 9th, 2001, 04:54 PM
jeremy

if you play twilight at torrey its something like $13, not sure if they are still checking local id's at this time of year, they usually arent that strict. Balboa is a nice course (harder than it looks) and ive heard that Coronado muni is relatively inexpemsive, and it should be nice seeing as how it is Coronado.

Oct 9th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Toni

Thanks for the great website address...I'm sure I can what I need there.

Oct 9th, 2001, 06:02 PM
BillJ

Try the muni course just over the bridge on Coronado. Haven't played it myself, but have heard great reviews, and driving by it looks pretty nice. Not the views and personality of Torrey, though.

Oct 9th, 2001, 06:35 PM
paul

Toni - I agree that the Coronado Muni course is worth looking into. However, Torrey Pines is a great course - challenging and beautiful. The ocean views are tremendous. I think you should really consider spending the money and treating yourself to a course that the pros play each year. I think that Aviara in Carlsbad (north san diego) is open to the public and that is a nice course.

Oct 10th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Toni

I found Coronado Muni on the website that Barbara listed above and it is very affordable (less the $34 to ride) and it looks great. On the site, they state that Bill Clinton shot his first 79 there thus breaking 80 for the first time.
Aviara must be really fabulous because it's REALLY expensive
Mon-Thur: $175 (w/ cart)
Fri-Sat-Sun: $195 (w/ cart)
I really want to play Torrey Pines and might spring for that if I can talk my husband into it. He thinks $50-60 is plenty to spend for a game of golf...I think for something special, a bit more...

Oct 10th, 2001, 06:36 PM
paul

I have played Coronado a number to times and it is a very nice course that is reasonably priced and not too hard. You will be playing alongside San Diego Bay. Its hard not to like this course if you don't want to spend too much on golf. It is mostly played by retirees and people who stay at the Coronado hotels. But like I said in the post above, I think that to have the opportunity to play a course that is on the pro circuit and is oceanfront and is not too expensive compared to say Aviara, go for it.