Reload this Page >

Toronto to Chicago via Michigan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 06:06 AM
Kristi

We are thinking of taking a road trip in August starting in Chicago, spending the 1st day at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and then head to Niagra Falls, through Toronto and then back through Michigan. Are there any interesting places to stop between Toronto and Chicago traveling via Michigan? We've been to Dearborn (Henry Ford museum), Cereal City in Battle Creek, Frankenmuth. I'm really just looking to break up the day so we're not driving straight through.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 05:50 PM
arjay

Well, this might be a little more "breaking up" than you're after, but if you have the time, you could veer over to Ludington, on the Lake MIchigan shore, and take the Badger ferry across the lake. After a very pleasant four-hour crossing, you'll land at Manitowoc, about three hours north of Chicago (and you don't have to go through Gary!!!)

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 03:41 AM
garynative

While Gary is known for high crime, it's important to note that the route from Chicago onward would not take you into "downtown". I-80/94 goes right by Gary, but I don't think the guns will hit a car going 55 to 65 mph. ;-)

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 01:32 PM
amy

Saugatuck is a great town along the shores of Lake Michigan about and hour and a half from Chicago. Very artsy with great shops and lots of little restaurants. If you like chocolate make sure to stop at Kilwins, a chocolate shop located in almost all the lakeside towns in Michigan, Benton Harbor, Saugatuck, South Haven etc. Fantastic fudge.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:33 AM
arjay

Sorry, Gary native - no offense intended. What I actually meant, was that the other route would mean avoiding that whole smelly, industrial stretch around the south tip of the Lake.